Trailer sandblast and paint question

Pbguy420

Cadet
Well I know galvanized isn't supposed to rust but nothing is truly rust free when neglected, and that's exactly what the previous owner of my boat did... Most of my trailer rust is on the brackets connecting the bunks which I purchased new ones of....

Well there is rust on the trailer frame and since we recently setup a really nice media blasting system for my brothers 68 c20 restoration I'm thinking of blasting and painting trailer

Worries I'm having tho are that I won't be able to blast or paint effectively inside of some of the square channel on the frame and I worry that rust could form inside and creep under my paint over time....

Any tips on how to paint this thing properly to deal with salt long term?

What kind of paint should I use as well

Pbguy420

Cadet
Re: Trailer sandblast and paint question

Also for absolute long term life....

Should I sandblast, then etch primer, then galvanize then primer and paint or what?

I don't just want to re galvanize I want my trailer nice and pretty black to match my truck and boat

robert graham

Admiral

I'd blast as much rust off it as possible, primer it good and paint it black like you want it...not much you can do about the rust on the insides of the square channel tubing, etc. Maybe consider replacing springs, shackles, bolts,hubs, etc., as needed....as these are fairly inexpensive items at Northern Tool, Tractor Supply,- type places. But eventually the salt water will have it's way with the trailer, depending a lot on how often you launch and retrieve in salt water...

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Since the trailer was galvanized I would make sure to use a zinc chromate acid wash primer or something else that will etch the zinc well before painting.