Trailer rollers vs carpet covered boards??

dswi

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1989 (?) Glasstream 172 cutlass
Mercruizer Alpha 1 3/0 w/Alpha 1 outdrive

I bought the boat last year with a shoreline trailer (not sure if it was the original trailer or not)

It has 4 sets of rollers mounted on pivoting tube steel (total of 8 rollers) in the back where all of the weight is.
And 2 sets in the front (total of 4 front rollers).

I see lots of trailers with the boards (2x4 / 2x6 or whatever)

Somehow I feel like there is too much weight on the rollers (over time...boat stays on the trailer in the back yard more than it is in the water).

Should I replace the rollers with boards...and how do I do it.

0808121714a.jpg0808121715.jpg0808121715a.jpg

Thanks for the help

Darrin

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer rollers vs carpet covered boards??

You do nothing. Roller and bunks work fine. It is merely Ford/Chevy preference.

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have carpeted bunks on my trailer and it's fine but the drawback is the type of ramp you can launch from. I cannot launch from a short private ramp like the one that's right next to my house at the beach. It's annoying because I have to put my boat in and out from the ramp at the marina nearby. If I had rollers, I could definitely use the ramp next to my vacation house.

The drawback isn't greater than the effort/cost it would take to switch though. :)

dswi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know ya'll love PICS...
The rollers are kinda worn out, I think...

0708130706.jpg0708130706a.jpg0708130707.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Personally I think it is a toss up between rollers and bunks. Each has its pros and cons. Yes rollers will allow you to launch your boat in some unique places, but they don't spread the load as well as bunks do. Bunks offer a lot more support for the boat hull then rollers. Rollers also concentrate their load on the hull possibly giving a set or hook in some places on the bottom of the hull. Bunks spread that load across a much large area and would keep possible hook to a minimum. The rubber rollers will also take on a set too instead of staying round over time. But bunks will need to be replace from rot over time. So it really comes down to what you actually want... I think the actual upkeep about cancels out one another over time... JMHO though!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

There are some boat manufacturers that require one or the other, but not your boat.

Rollers will not cause a hook and they will not get a flat spot from sitting.

The reason you see so many bunk trailers is because they are cheaper to make and sell, thus bringing the boat package price down.

They are not better nor are they easier, although using a roller trailer takes a couple times to figure out how it works best for your boat and your conditions. With both but especially rollers, most retrieval problems are caused by being in too deep.

However, to use bunks, most boaters have to sink the trailer and power load the boat up the bunks. In salt water, dunking a trailer is a bad idea, which is why experienced salt water boaters use rollers and often power winches. At many ramps, power loading is a bad idea even at low speeds, for the sake of the ramp. By not dunking, you are able to stand at the winch with dry feet in most cases, ankle deep at worst. I've heard that some bunk boaters even have their tow vehicle's rear in the brine!

And bunks and carpet often need replacing; rollers seldom do.

With a roller trailer, a simple push with one hand will launch even a large boat; much easier to winch up, too.

Other than that they are the same. Ha.

You are fortunate to have bought a boat with a proper trailer, as most used boat buyers don't have the choice.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Darren: read my post from yesterday: Made My Day. I have both roller and bunk trailers and do not prefer either over the other but this particular trailer was begging to be converted to bunks. Note that as far as ease of launching, the entire boat and bunks were out of the water yet the boat slid off the trailer nice as can be. With the rear keel roller just above water level, the boat tracked straight and cranked onto the trailer easily.

SO: It becomes your personal preference as to whether or not you convert to bunks. In my case, the bunks positioned on the strakes center the boat on the trailer quite nicely.

dswi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I very seriously doubt that I will ever launch in salt water...fresh only (I don't feel like towing the boat for 3 hours to get to salt!!) Plus fresh (I guess) is a lot better on the engine/outdrive internals.

I will probably just get a floor jack and a 4x4, jack one side up at a time and replace the rollers with bunks. I am not too sure whether the rollers are even rolling. The boat usually doesn't touch the rollers until I am pulling up the ramp anyway...I usually drive it right to the winch / nose stop.

Is the floor jack/4x4 idea a good one or should I maybe not try that. I feel that I can do it safely (to the boat and me).

Thanks for all of the input.
Darrin

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Home Cookin', I very much respect your comments and opinions all the time. And I am not trying to cause or create any argument or tension what so ever. However, I respectfully have to disagree with two statements you issued above. Boats do get hook (concave sections) in their hulls. There has been lots of folks that have posted their boat hook issues using rollers and question what to do about it. Secondly I know for a matter of fact that rollers will also take on a set (flat section to one side) because of sitting for long periods. I've had that happen to me as a matter of fact. Now whether my rollers were cheap types or what, I can tell you it did happen... Quality boats and rollers are probably not as susceptible to such flattening or hook issues, but it does happen all the same...

haulnazz15

Captain

I will probably just get a floor jack and a 4x4, jack one side up at a time and replace the rollers with bunks. I am not too sure whether the rollers are even rolling. The boat usually doesn't touch the rollers until I am pulling up the ramp anyway...I usually drive it right to the winch / nose stop.

Darrin

I don't see anything wrong with your roller setup. I wouldn't be messing with it to be honest. If you really want to take the "stress" off of the roller points a bit, add 2-3 keel rollers to allow the keel to take a bit of the boat weight. It's a cheaper, easier solution to the problem you don't really have, lol.

Also, if you are driving your boat up to the bow stop (and not power loading), your trailer is too far into the water. You should normally be shallow enough to need to winch the last foot or so.

dswi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Kinda a newbee to boating....Please define "power loading"
My back vehicle wheels are usually just at the waters edge but not in the water.

Sorry for the ignorance about boating and such.

haulnazz15

Captain

Kinda a newbee to boating....Please define "power loading"
My back vehicle wheels are usually just at the waters edge but not in the water.

Sorry for the ignorance about boating and such.

Power loading is generally referred to as using more than idle power to get the boat up to the bow stop. You see it commonly when someone doesn't have the trailer far enough into the water and they are giving the boat lots of throttle to "push" the boat up the trailer. It is frowned upon because the prop thrust washes out the base of the boat ramp and results in your trailer dropping off of the edge of the ramp when dozens of boaters are power loading and eroding the soil at the end of the boat ramp underwater.

In your situation, I doubt you are power loading. However, the depth of your trailer shouldn't be measured by where the tow vehicle's tires are. When properly set up and at proper depth, you boat should slide up the trailer about 80-90% of the way to the bow stop which allows you to winch up that last few feet with little or no resistance. Your roller trailer makes it even easier to winch the boat up because there is typically less friction when your rollers help move the boat forward. If you are able to get the boat straight on the trailer the first time with the way you are currently doing it, you don't HAVE to change anything. It's just a tip to keep your tow vehicle farther up the ramp for traction purposes, and it makes the trailer work for you, not against you.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have had two roller trailers and really like them. The bunk trailers with the flat 2 x 4's are only supporting where the supports are as the 2 x 4 just bends between them, i'd stick with the rollers.

LK

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I very seriously doubt that I will ever launch in salt water...fresh only (I don't feel like towing the boat for 3 hours to get to salt!!) Plus fresh (I guess) is a lot better on the engine/outdrive internals.

Is the floor jack/4x4 idea a good one or should I maybe not try that. I feel that I can do it safely (to the boat and me).

Darrin

well, if it ain't broke, fix it until it is....

but if you insist, it would be very dangerous to work on a trailer under a jacked up propped up boat. So if you must, go launch the boat then work on the trailer (Reedy River?)

You are sinking the trailer too deep.

three hours is worth it to smell salt air and reel big fish!

skyboy2410

Seaman Apprentice

I think you find rollers more forgiving than bunks. Your winch will thank you and your arm.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

My currant boat and previous boat have/are on rollers. Both of these are aluminum and over 25years old. Neither shows any sign of ever being on rollers. The trailer under the previous boat is a 1997 Spartan and all of those wobble rollers are still original. Currant boat is a 1988 Alumacraft on a 2008 Shoreland'r.

I believe that boats that develope problems while on rollers are either on trailers that they do not fit properly on, the trailer is not adjusted properly or the boat or trailer are in need of serious repair. Not to mention that there is also new junk out there, both roller and bunk that there is no way I'd ever put my boat on it.

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Rollers will not cause a hook and they will not get a flat spot from sitting.

They will cause a permanent dent though on metal boats... (and apparently some people have had issues with fiberglass also.) I've personally owned an older aluminum boat that had some fairly pronounced dents where the rollers were. (and the trailer was an OEM branded trailer, so hopefully set up for the boat.)

(not my pics, but pics don't lie. I personally don't want my hulls deformed that much for months at a time. At some point it isn't going to return back to normal.)

7518285562_f490d1ca8c_m.jpg

57651-trailer-causing-hull-damage-mvc-024s.jpg

57652-trailer-causing-hull-damage-mvc-019s.jpg

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

They will cause a permanent dent though on metal boats... (and apparently some people have had issues with fiberglass also.) I've personally owned an older aluminum boat that had some fairly pronounced dents where the rollers were. (and the trailer was an OEM branded trailer, so hopefully set up for the boat.)

(not my pics, but pics don't lie. I personally don't want my hulls deformed that much for months at a time. At some point it isn't going to return back to normal.)

gee I wonder what could have caused that? Like I've stated earlier I've had a 1984 Lund that had spent it's entire life sitting on rollers and now a 1988 Alumacraft that is also on rollers and neither of them showed any signs like that. Bottoms of both boats are staight as arrows. I can post pictures also and those would be of the actual boats.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

ooh another bunk vs roller thread with some power loading thrown in. I'm going for popcorn. almost as good as oil threads and chevy vs ford threads..

long story short. nothing wrong with your rollers. change them if you want, dont change them if you dont want.

personally if its not broken, spend the money on gas for the boat and enjoy the thing.

as pointed out. Roller trailers are more pricey than bunk trailers. you see more bunks because they are cheaper.

I launch my 24' boat with one hand from my trailer. unhook, and give it a gentle push Retrieving is almost as easy. I wont ever go back to bunks.

regarding power loading - In many states power loading is illegal and subject to a citation and fines

jkust

Rear Admiral

Have seen this thread topic a lot over the years. My sig boat is now 10 years old, stored exclusively on the full, roller, shorelandr trailer. No hull issues. While I realize no actuary would consider a sample size of one to be meaningful, it is what it is for me. For the dozen or so lakes I go to regularly, rollers make what is a challenge for bunk trailer owners, consistent every load and unload no matter the ramp conditions with rollers. While I think rollers are superior with a capital S, many don't have the same varying ramp conditions and just won't have the appreciation for them and so I can only say rollers make every load and unload consistently easy. We have an incomprehensible amount of ramps here in MN with many very poorly maintained. Besides, you have to shell out more money for a roller trailer. I see very few rollers versus bunks for other reasons as well such as having to only load and unload once a year as the boats sit on a lift at the cabin. For a trailer boat and for how we use it, I would gladly pay a premium for consistency and general improvement in experience quality in our lake trials and tribulations. I am a fan of rollers as I am a fan of driving to work in my suv versus on a horse.