trailer rehab

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
ordered the new hangers today and in speaking with the dude @ etrailer he felt (and I have been feeling) that the C slipper was not the best solution for a tandem so ordered 4 new closed end 2500 lbs springs.

What was his/ your reasoning for the closed Springs? Most of the tandem I've ever seen use C slippers, including all three of my LoadRites

Why the heavier springs? Did you put heavier axle under it? Springs exceeding axle capacity is fruitless...excess shock can't be beneficial to the well being of your boat.

oldjeep

Admiral
What was his/ your reasoning for the closed Springs? Most of the tandem I've ever seen use C slippers, including all three of my LoadRites

Why the heavier springs? Did you put heavier axle under it? Springs exceeding axle capacity is fruitless...excess shock can't be beneficial to the well being of your boat.

Odd, never seen a tandem with slippers. The ones that I have had with leafs always used closed end springs with shackles at the equalizer - mostly car trailers.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Odd, never seen a tandem with slippers. The ones that I have had with leafs always used closed end springs with shackles at the equalizer - mostly car trailers.

Make sure we're on the same page. Looked at 5 tandems trailers last night. All but two had "open eye" springs. The others had torsion axles

types-of-trailer-springs.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Not sure I understand your pics show only one 'open eye' the other four show at least one closed eye?

slipper spring open eye is what was on my trailer, replacing with double eye.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Not sure I understand your pics show only one 'open eye' the other four show at least one closed eye?

slipper spring open eye is what was on my trailer, replacing with double eye.

What was the reasoning / logic behind changing from the open to closed eye spring? The open eye has fewer moving parts and provides a smoother, level ride do to the nature of the design

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well, I think they have all the same? Four leafs, six hangers, and 4 equalizer and 8 bars, and 28 bolts?

Given one of the fist pics in this thread with the open end (C) just about to fall off the rear it just seems logical to have closed. I will never let my springs get to the point they were (now that I'm educated) but still...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
well, I think they have all the same? Four leafs, six hangers, and 4 equalizer and 8 bars, and 28 bolts?

Given one of the fist pics in this thread with the open end (C) just about to fall off the rear it just seems logical to have closed. I will never let my springs get to the point they were (now that I'm educated) but still...

My hanger bracket(s) are one piece, bolt on using five (5) u-bolts each. Springs have 3 leafs (#1750 each), 2 equalizers, no bars and 10 thru bolt connections. Don't know if your 28 bolts included the 8 u-bolts holding the axles to the springs

You have twice as many equalizers, 8 more bars and a lot more bolted connections to worry about / maintain.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I looked at my trailers again. One has the open eye and the other has double eye spring. The one with the double eye spring has shackles where the spring meets the equalizer.

On the one with the open eye, the open eye is toward the rear of the trailer on each spring which means one the front spring's open eye is at the equalizer.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok bad multiplication; I doubled my double. 14 bolts total, plus ubolts for axles. In any event, just feel better with a closed eye. I'll live with having shackles.

how would the open give a smoother, more level ride by design?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I looked at my trailers again. One has the open eye and the other has double eye spring. The one with the double eye spring has shackles where the spring meets the equalizer.

On the one with the open eye, the open eye is toward the rear of the trailer on each spring which means one the front spring's open eye is at the equalizer.

Never seen such a thing. Is that factory or Harry homeowner at work?

On mine, the open eye is at the rear of both springs. Front spring, open eye on equalizer. Rear spring, open eye on trailer bracket.

how would the open give a smoother, more level ride by design?

In the c design, the spring is "floating". Nothing to rust up and seize the action of the spring. I've cut more seized up multiple bar equalizers off than I care to remember. I imagine they are not as problematic in freshwater, but pita in salt.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
On mine, the open eye is at the rear of both springs. Front spring, open eye on equalizer. Rear spring, open eye on trailer bracket.
On my trailer with the open eye, mine is the same way.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Never seen such a thing. Is that factory or Harry homeowner at work?

mine was rear on both as well

In the c design, the spring is "floating". Nothing to rust up and seize the action of the spring. I've cut more seized up multiple bar equalizers off than I care to remember. I imagine they are not as problematic in freshwater, but pita in salt.

Never thought of that, and yes i'll be in fresh. Would those greasable bolts help any?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Question:
Is the axle under/over the leaf one of those never ending debates with no clear winner? I'm leaning to putting them on top to lower. I've also got 4-5" I can drop the bunks/rollers for an overall drop of may 8-10".

My (very basic) understanding of physics is I should have this thing lower than it is. I can also easily move the fenders to compensate. I've really not had any issues towing (that I know of) - but since I started hanging our on this forum I've learned a lot including that I should have already died a couple times.

It is nice to be able to forget to trim the lower unit up....

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Just make sure that if you lower it that the frame/tongue isn't going to drag the ramp transition

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Measuring for the new hangers this morning. Since the old ones were smaller than the new ones we're moving forward of the remaining plates that is left after I cut off the fins of the old. They are 5/8" different. I was keying off the center hanger plate to measure for the front/rear and something didn't look right so I measured from the back to the plates. 5/8". No wonder I couldn't get anything to look right.

Off to the store to get a different color marker.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
A good weld is not like caulk, a good weld will completely fuse the 2 pieces.

So according to this, it should be fused all the way thru.

I am cutting off the existing spring seats as my width is not standard. New ones will be welded on of course.

Here what the ones from etrailer look like:

note the rust on the pieces on the right - it appears that this bead was just a 'caulk line'

See the gap on the inside along with the rust? Is that normal?

Last edited: