Trailer Parking Tip

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice
I discovered by accident a cheap and easy way to know when to stop backing up your trailer. <br /><br />The other day I was backing my trailer into its hiding place, a dark shed. I heard a noise and stopped to see what I had ran over. It turned out to be some bubble-wrap packing material. It just so happened that was where I needed to stop anyway. <br /><br />I got to thinking it would be a cheap and easy way to signal yourself. Simply lay down a piece of the bubble-wrap then run over it... <br /><br />By the way it was the big bubbles not the small ones. <br /><br />Happy Fishin'..... :D

Chum Slick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trailer Parking Tip

I use my neighbor's cats. Cheaper than bubble wrap and I enjoy the sound more. Besides, it serves two purposes. :D

Chum Slick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried the bubble wrap theory, **** stuff keeps floating down the river.

495v

Chief Petty Officer

I wish I could back my trailer into the garage. My boat is 21'8" so the boat goes in diaganolly from corner to corner, by hand. It really sucks trying to move a 4,000# boat on two axle's! Can't wait for my new garage!

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice

To Chum Slick...<br /><br />The best way to know when to stop backing your trailer into the water is when the water starts coming in the door. :p

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Guys.<br /><br />Nothing beats a front mounted hitch for being able to spot a trailer exactly where you want it.<br /><br /> :)

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice

You guys are really trying to make me feel bad aint you! I am just happy I have a boat and a shed to park it in, much less too big a boat for a shed.....<br /><br />My boat is a 1990 or so Astro 14' Fiberglass with a 40HP Mariner. <br /><br />I really like the size of it - not too big or too small, easy to handle, uses very little gas, I can get into places bigger boats can't.<br /><br />Best of all - IT'S PAID FOR!!!!!!<br /><br />Happy Fishin' Everybody............. :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Russell!<br /><br />Sounds like you have the right boat for you.<br /><br />That last feature is hard to beat.<br /><br /> :)

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice

To JBC....<br /><br />I think I would have to sell a kidney or two to afford a fancy new boat. :D

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A good way to know how far to back, is place a thick peice of wood on the ground just behind where you want the trailer wheels to stop. You can feel it from the car when the wheel meets the wood...

495v

Chief Petty Officer

Russell, I hear the black market's pretty good for kidney's these days. Imagine the boat you could buy! You don't need that thing anyway's!LOL<br />I didn't know they made 14' Astros, I thought the smallest was a 16'.

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Russell... either way you will have "two foot fever". Before selling the kidney you may want a boat that is two foot longer, after selling the kidney and buying a new boat you'll wish you could whizz two foot beyond the tips of your boots. <br /><br /> Remember the line from the Eagle's song "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with". :D

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice

To 495V,<br /><br />Yep maybe I could afford a boat with a built in kidney machine...<br /><br />They seem to have everything else on them now days.<br /><br />I remember once, many years ago, my dad was looking at a boat and its major selling points were a livewell and a bilge pump. :D :D :D

JEllwanger

Seaman

My wife got a thrill when I brought my first boat home. I told her it would fit, knowing that it was about 9" too long for the garage. After I got it most of the way in I told her I didn't need her to help anymore. Then I went and got my circular saw and cut a nice little hole for the ball catch to stick out. She let out a scream from inside the house wehn she saw that blade poking thru the back side of tha garage!

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't be selling any kidneys, the next wave might be big enough that you may need the spare one!!!!!

Alrobot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you guys lived out here in California you wouldn't have to store your boats in the garage. What is it they call that cold white stuff you guys get on the ground again???

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice

Al,<br /><br />I live where it rarely snows but the sun and heat are killers for everything left outdoors. Add to that bugs, pesticides (that obviously don't work), herbicides, acid rain, etc. and your nice boat is ruined. Now consider all the theives we have that will steal everything not bolted down and half of everything that is and you have a real mess on your hands. :D