Trailer Maintenance

sunbird1

Seaman
I still have the original trailer (1990) for my boat 1990 20ft Sunbird. The boat fully loaded weighs around 3500 pounds. My question is should the leaf springs or axle be changed or do you wait until they fail? Is there any way to test them? The springs are pretty rusty but seem fine. <br /><br />thanks for you help.

D

DJ

Re: Trailer Maintenance

sunbird1,<br /><br />About all you can do is make a thorough inspection. I would concentrate on the bushings that connect the springs to the frame. These frequently wear out and are inexpensive to replace.<br /><br />Also, pay close attention to U-bolts and other attaching hardware.

Popeye 17

Cadet
Re: Trailer Maintenance

Let me say this about that. I have a 1977 Montauk on a Trailrite bunk trailer. Boat has never been in fresh water. In the process of tearing the trailer down for sandblasting, I had removed the leaf springs and was leaning on one like it was a cane, and it snapped in half! Kid you not. There was surface rust on them, but this was something I had not seen before. Rotten to the core. If you hit them with a hammer they would not ring, just a dull thud, soft. I have nightmares about the spring snapping on the freeway. New springs and u bolts for less then 150.00. I will change mine every 5 or 6 years. I get on some bad roads in Mexico, cheap insurance. Good Luck,Mark