"trailer hitching" or excessive bounce

jeffkrol

Seaman Apprentice
Was pulling a 20' pontoon on a double axle trailer w/ disc brakes (Shorelander). I have an old 91 GMC Sierra and it was bouncing excessively on an interstate area. Shocks seem fine A new road stretch had very little bounce to it. Any particular causes (light tongue weight) or cures?
BTW weight is about 2500 lbs combined and tongue wt. scales at 198.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: "trailer hitching" or excessive bounce

double axle trailers usually don't have issues with tongue weight, and pontoons in particular tend to load heavy on the front.

I'd be more willing to bet tires not inflated as much as they need to, or depending on the trailer design, part of the pontoon is unsupported and picks up momentum.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Another possibility might be a badly out-of-balance wheel.

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

Since it bounced on one section of interstate and not on another it's probably do to the distance between the expansion joints on that section of interstate. As the front wheels hit an expansion joint the vehicle the front end bounces up a little. As it starts coming back down the rear wheels hit the joint a which raises the rear end, which amplifies the front end going down. As the front end starts coming back up you hit another expansion joint which starts the whole thing over again.

There is one 5 mile section of interstate on the way to the lake that causes my F250 to bounce pretty good, but doesn't affect my wife's Explorer at all because of the shorter wheel base.

jeffkrol

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks all, anyone use these?

Thanks all, anyone use these?

http://www.airsafehitches.com/inventory_sale.html
AIR SAFE HITCHES
Also.. since the bumper seems to be rated for my boat/motor (but also has a class 4 hitch) would it be better to snug the boat to that rather then have the extra connections? (hitch,tongue,to trailer)