Trailer bearings stuck. Help?

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
It appears that the outer bearing inner race ground down the end of you spindle from the first picture. Can you ger any movement at all?

So I bought a cheap puller at Harbor Freight and was able to move the inner race all the way to the edge of the spindle but now it is truly stuck.

I tried lubricants, heating with a cheap torch but it just wont budge that last millimeter.

I started a blog and posted my whole saga with photos of my puller setup.

https://lancehunt.tumblr.com/

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
Wrench3 & Charleso,

Do you think that puller from autozone would be much better than the one I got from HF?

I've almost decided that this will need Hydraulics to get it off...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Okay a lot more info now. Seems you are going about this in the proper way. Keep working at it and it will eventually come off. Heat may work as well. If you have a heat gun, try using it. Other then that, there is nothing more you can do other then staying with it 'til is comes loose. Then before buying any new parts. take a few more close up shots of both the axle and hub. If they look good, then buy new parts and reinstall. JMHO

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Something tells me that when the hub is finally removed, the spindle will be badly damaged.

Is the inner bearing and seal moving with the hub or stuck on the spindle?

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Have you tried hammering on the puller bolt head with a BFH and then seeing if you can get any more tension on it.
Mike

GA_Boater

He has to be careful not to flare the end of the spindle. Too much pressure will cause a flare.

It might be better to BFH the hub itself.

GA_Boater

Bet I could get that hub off with my plasma cutter!

No doubt a plasma cutter will do the deed. If it takes a plasma cutter to get the hub off, he better price a new axle and hubs. I think it's fused into one solid lump.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
No doubt a plasma cutter will do the deed. If it takes a plasma cutter to get the hub off, he better price a new axle and hubs. I think it's fused into one solid lump.
Yep, I would be pricing the axle with hubs right now.

wrench 3

Commander
Wrench3 & Charleso,

Do you think that puller from autozone would be much better than the one I got from HF?

I've almost decided that this will need Hydraulics to get it off...

The OTC puller would give you a bit more pull. But you would have to be careful with the OEM 27037. I've broken one before. The puller itself won't take as much abuse as the one that you have on there now.

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
Something tells me that when the hub is finally removed, the spindle will be badly damaged.

Is the inner bearing and seal moving with the hub or stuck on the spindle?

Yes the inner bearing, seal, and hub are all moving well now (about 1/4" play), they are just blocked by the outer race.

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
The OTC puller would give you a bit more pull. But you would have to be careful with the OEM 27037. I've broken one before. The puller itself won't take as much abuse as the one that you have on there now.

I just discovered that I stripped out my HF puller... not sure if I should risk the 27037 but am again stuck.

fishrdan

Admiral
To me... It looks like the end of the spindle has a build-up of rust that you're trying to pull the race over. Probably not the direction you want to go, but pound the race back onto the axle, clean the rust off the end of the spindle with sand paper, then pull the race off again.

fishrdan

Admiral
I just discovered that I stripped out my HF puller... not sure if I should risk the 27037 but am again stuck.

Lifetime warranty on all hand tools! Take it back and get another one. (break that one and take it back, wash rinse and repeat...)

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
To me... It looks like the end of the spindle has a build-up of rust that you're trying to pull the race over. Probably not the direction you want to go, but pound the race back onto the axle, clean the rust off the end of the spindle with sand paper, then pull the race off again.

I followed your advice...
https://lancehunt.tumblr.com/post/158526406680/me-vs-stuck-hub-i-win

The good news is that the hub is finally off!

The great news is that the spindle was not damaged!

Thanks a ton for the help everyone! This is now my favorite boat forum of all time!!!

GA_Boater

OK - I'm impressed with your "Can Do" attitude.

Also very surprised the spindle is OK. You were lucky, but a win is a win. :D

fishrdan

Admiral
Good to see you got the hub off.

Make sure to use double-lip seals on the the hubs, not standard single lip seals. Single lip seals retain grease, but can let water in. Also, make sure to clean up where the seal rides on the spindle, finish it off with emery cloth or 1500 grit sand paper. Speedi Sleeves can be used to restore where the seal rides, if it's really bad.

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Saved the axle, very good. Get the double lip seals and be sure to use a marine grade grease going back on with new hubs.

lancehunt

Seaman Apprentice
I finished replacing the bearings, races and seal on the first wheel then moved on to the 2nd one...and its even worse than the other.

Spindle nut is stuck solid and bearings are pointing in all directions...pray for me.