trailer bearings, dumb question

midshipman

Cadet
Hi,
How do I know when its time to replace the wheel bearings on my boat trailer. Is there any test that I can do ?

Right now everything seems fine.

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: trailer bearings, dumb question

You should repack your wheel bearings every three to five years depending on how much use your trailer gets. You can re-use your bearings if they are not rusted or have any sign of ware. You must replace your seals with each repack. Unless you know who to pre load the bearings, it might be better to let your dealer/tech handle this job. Doing this job wrong, can lead to having the wheel come off the trailer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

To test for problems, periodically jack up the trailer and spin the wheel by hand. If you hear any grinding or rough sounds as the wheel spins it is suggested you pull that wheel, inspect the bearings, and replace those that need it. Any pitting, roughness, chips, or cracks in the rollers or races is a bad sign so that bearing needs replacement. Bearing pre-load following wheel installation is essential for proper operation.

v2plus25

Recruit

What about greasing the hub? How do I do it and how often do I need to do it? Just bought a new trailer and don't know if/when the previous owner did any greasing. There is no squeaking and everything seems to be fine. Just wanted to be sure everything stays that way.

can-amsledder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like to use Bearing Buddies on any of my trailers that are going to see water! The Bearing Buddies go in place of the dust cap and just tap in!
If you are going to repack your own bearing you can buy a repacking tool (looks like a suction cup with a grease nipple on it).
If you are not sure of the condition of the bearings it?s best to take the hubs apart and have a look. Nothing will ruin a day at the lake faster then having a wheel fly off your trailer on the way to the lake!

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you just got the trailer never trust anyone elses maintenance pull it apart and check it yourself--if you don't have the ability the that's what people have job's for use them and save the economy:D

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There's no real good way to tell if your bearings need replacing without taking them out of the hub and checking them. I went all last season after I bought my first boat without doing that. I would feel the hub to see if it got hot after a drive, and it felt fine. Silvertip's recommendation to jack up the trailer and spin the wheel is a good way to tell if your bearings are really bad, but I did that last season and each wheel spun smooth and silent.

When I finally did check the bearings they were kinda blackened and pitted, a little corroded, and the races needed replacing too. It turned out to be not too difficult of a job to replace them.

So just get those wheels off and check your bearings, and replace them if need be. The peace of mind will be well worth it. I recommend a bearing packer tool-- another iboater recommended an $8 one at Pep Boys, and it served me well. Much easier than doing it by hand.

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To test for problems, periodically jack up the trailer and spin the wheel by hand. If you hear any grinding or rough sounds as the wheel spins it is suggested you pull that wheel, inspect the bearings, and replace those that need it. Any pitting, roughness, chips, or cracks in the rollers or races is a bad sign so that bearing needs replacement. Bearing pre-load following wheel installation is essential for proper operation.

Thats by far the best test.