Trailer bearing broken

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
Today I found the bearing is broken before I pulled the boat into trailer. So I left my boat on the water and left trailer on the parking lot. I changed the grease for the winterizatilon. and I do not know what reason caused the damage of bearing. Tonight I went to Princess Auto and found there are a lot of different bearings and I do not know which one I should buy.

So could anybody help to do the DIY of repair trailer bearing? What kind of parts should I buy?

Are the bearing parts standard parts?

Thank you so much

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Pull the hub with the bad bearing, pull the bad bearing, 'n read the numbers off it,....
Or, they go by axle diameter,....

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,.... Pull the hub with the bad bearing, pull the bad bearing, 'n read the numbers off it,....
Or, they go by axle diameter,....
Thank Bondo. I can measure the axle diameter. But maybe it is difficult to read the numbers off it because the bearing has been damaged. There are more than one part of bearing and I do not know which part I should read

Bondo

Staff member
Thank Bondo. I can measure the axle diameter. But maybe it is difficult to read the numbers off it because the bearing has been damaged. There are more than one part of bearing and I do not know which part I should read
All of 'em,....

ahicks

Captain
Depending on how necessary it is to get the boat and trailer out of the location they are now, and how far it is home, I might be tempted to load the boat on the trailer and have a flat bed wrecker pick it up and take it home or some place that can repair it.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
I changed the grease for the winterizatilon. and I do not know what reason caused the damage of bearing.

What kind of parts should I buy?

Are the bearing parts standard parts?
I might be tempted to load the boat on the trailer and have a flat bed wrecker pick it up and take it some place that can repair it.
Taking it somewhere to have it repaired might be the best option.
The spindle could be damaged so can the race in the hub.
It sounds like this kind of repair is new to you and you could end up wasting money on new parts.

I totally understand trying to DIY it to save money but if you're not familiar with this issue you could end up with a short lived bearing and be stuck on the side of the road.

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
I measured the axle's dialmeter is 1/116, then I got one from parts source and canadire time. thank

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Just a few tips and pointers...

Clean EVERYTHING real good to remove any metal shavings and/or flakes. You can even use brake clean!
Inspect the other bearing for such things as score marks, grooves, burn marks, etc.
Do the same for the good bearing race and both spots of the spindle.
Be careful installing the new race for the new bearing.
Carefully (no dirt) and fully PACK both bearings with wheel bearing grease. Look up how to hand pack wheel bearings.
Do not over tighten or leave the spindle nut to loose. I've been doing automotive bearings for so long I acquired the "feel" for how to do it. I'm sure there's a torque spec somewhere on the net.

Good luck! (y)