TPS sensor problem 150 ficht

nethunter

Cadet
Hi all,
i rebuild my 98 Evinrude 150HP complete with new pistons and sleeves.
Now, all is mounted together. The enginge starts fine but i have trouble code 12+13 "TPS sensor".

The engine stay at idle. i can delete the code but came up emeditly after start.

I have checked the senso some times...it works...givs out 0-4,8 volt.

I have laptop with diagnostic but after the rebuild i can not get linked with EMM....befor was no problem at all.
May be because of laptop...i dont know.

I have no spare parts here in germany, anybody an idea what is the problem...can be the EMM is broken????

thanks guys

peter
germany

Haffiman

Commander
Re: TPS sensor problem 150 ficht

Check how you have routed the wire from the TPS sensor. Had quite some problems with the early versions of the Fichts in this regard finally discovered I had to cut open the cable harness and move the TPS wires in front of the ECM. This to avoid interference from the rest of the electrical system. This change was later introduced on all the Fichts.
The problem of not being able to access the ECM however points in an ECM error.

nethunter

Cadet

...thanks...

come streight from engine...it runs! After three days of testing!

The problem was the pin wich turns/moove the TPS sensor was bended....by myself...only some thousends of an inches.

My laptop is broken, thatswhy i could not see the wrong value of the sensor.

In idle position the EMM messures the position of the TPS....if its out of window the engine run only in idle and gifs trouble code.
These window of voltage value is that small that you are not able to find right position without diagnostic system.

So i found other laptop....

The reason of all my cunsern was three point:
1. i mixed up to wires of WT and injektor...same plug...
2. and was thinkin i blown the EMM thats why because i could?t get linkin to EMM wiht my laptop
3. strange trouble code because the TPS sensor was workin well

Thanks man...iam happy after 2 month of work to rebulit the powerhead. Tomorrow it goes on RHEIN river to see it runs good. In 6 days we go on vacation ....

peter germany

Haffiman

Commander

Just be sure you have a max rpm of 5700, or you will soon be in for another rebuild!

nethunter

Cadet

Just be sure you have a max rpm of 5700, or you will soon be in for another rebuild!
...what you mean?
To make sure to keep it under 5800?

Is that not a question of Propeller?

thanks
peter

Haffiman

Commander

...what you mean?
To make sure to keep it under 5800?

Is that not a question of Propeller?

thanks
peter

The main reason for those engines to seize pistons is soot build-up that absorbs the oil. Result, your pistons are running in a dry cylinder!
Keep the revs up and load 'light' reduces the soot!
Using Carbon Guard in the fuel helps quite a bit as well.
My first Fich came ready seized from the factory!
The two next, lasted about 100 hrs.
At the most I had some 20 powerheads in my workshop!
But there are ways of keeping them running, as long as you can get parts.

nethunter

Cadet

Thanks....
Youre right. There was a lot of seize at Zylinder head.
I think it runs without sythetic oil....that should help i hered.

peter

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

carefully carefully gentlemen... here you have an archive of afficial brochures for the evinrude fichts :

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=397772

you see that the all the 150 models have peak power at 5000 rpms and evinrude on earlier fichts gives a range of 4500-5500, on later models its revised from 4800 to 5300.

5700 is in every case wrong for a v6 150 ficht.

glad you was able to rebuild your engine and it runs ! against all pessimistics your automotive shop was able to drill correctly and the pistons also are fine ! have fun with boating !

Haffiman

Commander

It is sometimes a difference in what you prop at max and what you use.
I will still recommend that engine to be propped giving a max rpm at 5700 on light boat (driver 'no' fuel),
What killed those engines was 'load' and lack of rpm.
Launch in spring, which is normal in Europe,and by end summer you are down at least 500rpm due to weight increase etc.
'Overload' was what killed most of the engines if we keep faulty oil-manifolds etc out of the picture.
What the sales brochure states that you have an operating range 45-5500 rpm with a nominal max at @5000 is correct.
What it does not tell and too many people experienced was that if you propped it for max at @5000 most engines would fail within the first 100 hours if running at the 'norm' 10% max throttle and max load!
It was a bit turbulent in OMC at that time and sales and technical department did not always agree!

nethunter

Cadet

Hi all,
thanks for info.

After 3 weeks of testing i have a problem with the speed/rpm.
The motor rpm is max 4500 at about 46 knotes.

The boat / motor and 2 passengers hase 2000 pounds.

the prop is an 14 1/2 x 19

It seams the motor runs good, i need max 3250 rpm for tube and ski, but other frinds runs over 60 knotes with the same boat and horsepower(but not ficht)

Is the prop pinch to high?...or has the motor not full power of 150 HP. Hase anybudy experience abot weight, prop motor combo?

thanks for help

Haffiman

Commander

If you are talking GPS knots with that prop pitch and RPM, I would suggest you check your rev counter. Try to 'wiggle' the setting screw at the back. The indicator arrow is not that accurate and I have had quite some cases where it has been closer to next setting to get it correct.
As for speed, you are not too far from my old Boston Whaler 17 Outrage which should be rather close in weight.
The 60 knots with your 'other friends' I would like to see verified. You may however manage to gain some speed changing from the normal SST to a Raker, all depends on boat.

Edited:
Did you do the timing verification procedure after rebuild?

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

consider your tachometer is not correct. i have a 2000 ficht ram 150 hp with 14 1/2 X 20 stainless prop on a way heavier cabin boat ( 21ft , rougly 3300 lbs ) and reach about 67 kmh or 36 knots with 4 persons or about 38 knots lightweight . the engine revs then pretty exactly 5000rpm.

i do not see the chance going 46 knots with a 14 1/2 X 19 prop when the engine just revs 4500.

on the other hand i do not see the chance going over 60 knots with 150 hp and a 2000 lbs boat like your friends claim .

nethunter

Cadet

Edited:
Did you do the timing verification procedure after rebuild?
....no i did?t ...
At the moment i cant get linked to the EMM. I had this problem after the rebuild and took another laptop. With this "new" was no problem to get connected and run the diagnostic SW . After the last error read out with the laptop last week (was no faults listed) i cant get connected to EMM. The enginge runs good but now i have two laptops i cannot get linked to EMM.

I can not find any faults at the laptop port or cabel.

can i do e reset on EMM?

The waterflow speed tacho is right ....i checked also with GPS ...is pretty exactly...was wondered.
The rev counter?...is the RPM counter on top...right?
If that is not reading right the engine will not working smooth i gess. All datas the EMM calculate are based on the RPM counter sensor.

Do you think the not seted timer verification procedure can caused RPM issures?

thanks
peter

Haffiman

Commander

Have you disabled all security software on your lap tops including firewall?
Are you running from disk or installed software?
Your tach reads signal from the charge system just like the carbed outboards and do not use the same signals as the TPS sensor gives to the EMM for its calculations.
The timing procedure is a must and must be performed. At the moment the ECM just assumes that your engine is at TDC at a certain point. The engine might be 10 degrees out, but due to the system you will not notice until your pistons melts down.
1: Get your timing done.
2: Get the tach reading checked.

nethunter

Cadet

...OK....i will do that!
Before i need to get access to the EMM and orgenize a stroboscobe light. I will try the on board diagnostic reset tomorrow.

thanks
peter

nethunter

Cadet

Hi guys,
update:
I got my laptop running , i had a bad wire at the interface (ground cable).
I did the hole timing prosedure and set the timing right...was over 3 degree to late.

Today i made testrun, runs as before....max 4500 rpm. I tested also another prop 15x17....the rpm went up to 5000....but same speed.

The motor runs fine with god power....but i thinks it doesnt has 150 HP....

I also did the compression test 35h after the rebuilt. Al zylinders got >100 psi

thanks
peter

Haffiman

Commander

I believe you are close to your max obtainable speed. A slight improvement might be done if adjusting installation height and testing different propeller designs like Raker etc.