Toyota Trans

DHPMARINE

Captain
Quickly 1999 toy 4runner.Hit in accident,just behind passengers rear wheel.$12,000.00 damage.Yes,$12,000.00.

Ran good after a few minor problems,but now,when at stop lights,in gear,it will not move until we move shift handle from Drive to Low,then is okay.Does NOT slip,Oil level is OK

Was hit badly enough to bend the rear differential,which was NOT hit.New differential.

Any Ideas ?

DHP

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Toyota Trans

Nothing.Runs great.Until we stop again,after several miles.Not at the next several stops.Maybe 20 or more miles.Then it happens again.

DHP

D

DJ

DHP,

I assume is has a shift cable? If so, check where the cable meets the trans. Anything loose? Does the cable move in and out with input from the shifter everytime?

If not, I'd say it's internal.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Thats an electronic transmission. Check al the battery connections, clean or repair as needed.

May need to be put an a diagnostic tester.

Does the speed-o-meter work properly?

dolluper

Captain

TTC.>>>>switch gone or wiring bad at it or not hooked up,shift cable not adjusted right or engine mount {trannie mount } loose allowing engine to shift a bit at stops,also check dog bone mount on top of engine

DHPMARINE

Captain

Well we may never know.Didn't mention radiator failure 6 months ago.Antifreeze in tranny and ATF in radiator..Replaced radiator,drained flushed and reflushed systems and was OK till now.

Two respected Toyota Mechanics and two decent tranny shops concurred that the antifreeze damaged the clutch plates.Estimates were $3200 minimum.

Well tonight we arrived home in a new 2007 Rav4.Not sure I like it,but the wife does.Been married 37 years,and staying that way.

DHP

D

DJ

Well we may never know.Didn't mention radiator failure 6 months ago.Antifreeze in tranny and ATF in radiator..Replaced radiator,drained flushed and reflushed systems and was OK till now.

Yea, that will also stick shift valves in the valve body.

Ethylene Glycol turns into glue in the presence of ATF or engine oil.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

DHPMARINE said:
Not sure I like it,but the wife does.Been married 37 years,and staying that way.

DHP

hehehehe........I ain't sayin nuthin. :p

Way to go DHP. 8)

DHPMARINE

Captain

Kinda like when a tree falls in the forest,does anyone hear it ?

Don't matter ..... still my fault.

DHP

I agree with all the above reasons for the failure,and someone added another.Sitting in this condition for a month while the body work was done.(no fluid movement,antifreeze just settled in)

DHP