toxic lakes in Ohio

tuffshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There are 5 lakes in Ohio that have a blue/green algae that is supposed to be toxic. Not sure what it will do to the fish but is not good for humans. Still trying to find more info on this, the lakes are not in my area that I frequent but sure would like to know the source of the algae. This sure put a damper on a hot boating season.

This brief was on channel 4 wcmh web page:

Five Ohio state park lakes are tainted with toxic, blue-green algae meaning swimmers and boaters should avoid getting in the water.

The Ohio Department Natural Resources has issued an new advisory for Lake Hope in Vinton County and the lake at Dillon State Park in Muskingum County

There's is also a warning for Cutler Lake at Blue Rock State Park in Muskingum County.

Signs there are posted advising visitors not to touch the water or go boating.

Other advisories and warnings have been in effect at the lake in Burr Oak State Park in southeast Ohio, and at western Ohio's Grand Lake St. Marys.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources wants everyone to know that while these advisories or warnings are posted, that does not mean the state park is closed.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: toxic lakes in Ohio

There are 5 lakes in Ohio that have a blue/green algae that is supposed to be toxic. Not sure what it will do to the fish but is not good for humans. Still trying to find more info on this, the lakes are not in my area that I frequent but sure would like to know the source of the algae. This sure put a damper on a hot boating season.

Completely banning boating is a little over the top. We get it here in ND sometimes, and it isn't THAT bad. Yes, don't drink the water, don't go swimming directly in the green stuff, but boating is still safe. It generally doesn't hurt the fish population.

These algae blooms have been happening for a LONG time on some lakes, and unless you have fairly high exposure, you aren't at risk. The study that everyone is up in arms about related to a town around the lake (24/7 exposure) that also used the lake for its drinking water source.

Its usually caused by agricultural runoff. Either from LOTS of cattle, or fertilizer on a field. Too much nitrogen = algae bloom.