towing with Exterra

kengladd

Seaman
I have a small 17 ft CC I usually tow it with my F150 w/ Triton V8 withtow package. My wifes car is a 2004 V6 Nissan Exterra The manual says towing capasity is 5000 lbs but recommends trailer brakes for anything over 1000 lbs. Two questions, Should I add a Tranny cooler and are brakes really needed on the trailer (how easy to upgrade) the ramp is about 5 miles from my house but mabe twice a year we might take a one hour trip.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: towing with Exterra

that is a standard , CYA statement. Flordia's law says load over 1500# need brakes, but many trailers are sold without brakes. i have brakes on my trailers, after being pushed thru several intersections, by my boats. brakes are rather easy to install. here's a link:

http://www.championtrailers.com/

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use and recommend Kodiak brakes. I picked them up from Auto Safety house. The brake kit for e-coated discs is only $270 per axle. You also need the coupler, and I don't recall the price on that. I previously used Tie-Down brakes and they fell apart. Total junk.

If you are towing with a small SUV like that you will definitely be safer and more comfortable with brakes.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Tashadaddy, Does the brake law in Florida apply to nonresidents too? I have a boat that is probably around 1400-1500 wet but on vacation we fill the boat w/ stuff. (Maybe 1650 total) would I be legal w/o brakes? Towing w/ 3/4 ton suburban so stopping is not an issue.

kengladd

Seaman

bassboy1 said:
Tashadaddy, Does the brake law in Florida apply to nonresidents too? I have a boat that is probably around 1400-1500 wet but on vacation we fill the boat w/ stuff. (Maybe 1650 total) would I be legal w/o brakes? Towing w/ 3/4 ton suburban so stopping is not an issue.

I don't know, but I'll stop buy the marine patrol and ask tomorrow
Let you know

tedder

Seaman Apprentice

I tow my boat with my 2002 Xterra, without much problem, boat is around 2000 lbs but add full fuel in the truck, gear and a few guys stopping can be an issue...so drive accordingly.

I did add a Tranny cooler but I tow alot. Not much to installing it. You are towing 5 miles, you dont need it or the trailer brakes for that short of a distance.

Hopefully you've got the 4x4 model and better yet the Supercharged version.

And by the way .... there is a serious following for the X, you can find any info you need on the truck at the site below and one more thing, its no dog off the road either!
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

YES! YES! YES!

I tow with my X without any problems at all. It's a 2002 model, Supercharged!!!! (Best money ever spent) and it handles my 18' Lund with ease. It's the best truck I've ever owned but a full size would be even better.