Towing with a Durango

Fonchy

Cadet
I have a 21' center console, weight is about 4500#, I was thinking on getting a 04 durango fully loaded, 4x4, tow package and HEMI engine, Is this a good combo or not

Attachments

• Kencraft Challenger 203.jpg
    Kencraft Challenger 203.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 0

ajjacobs

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Towing with a Durango

I tow with an '03 4.7l 4X4 durango. Boat and trailer come to around 3800lbs maybe a bit more when loaded. Not one issue. I can hardly tell the boat is on the hitch. I think with the 5.7l you will be fine. If anything some upgraded brakes would be all you may need.

AJ

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

trailer brakes are a must on that trailer.

Fonchy

Cadet

My trailer has built in brakes not electric brakes, the boat by itself weights roughly 5000lbs, 2200 for boat, 500 for engine, 1500 for trailer and roughly 650lbs of gas( Im guessing 88 gal tank). Right now I have a minivan and a honda civic, so one has to go and it will be the Van.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 03 durango 4.7l with my 20' sting ray on a tandem trailer I have a gvw around 4,600. she grunts alittle going up steep grades other than that its great. your 5.7 will be fine

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

04 durango with the tow package are rated to haul up to 4,800 gvw trailer. As long as you have good trailer brakes your fine

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Ive towed my 18' sea ray with a 115 yamaha with my wife's 2002 toyota celica. I installed a reese mini van hitch under the bumper and it was a little tricky but i pulled it about 80 miles like that. I put on better adjustable shocks on the rear of the car and installed a bigger transmission cooler than the one that came stock but it worked. I will not do that anymore but i had no choice at the time. We have an old beat up ford truck now that we use but it goes to show you if your careful you can get away with more than recomended. My dad pulled a 2 axle 1972 wilderness camper that weighed about 4-5k pounds with a 5 speed chevy s-10. Not just that but he did it with the stock bumper. It didnt even have a tow hitch to the frame. Just a 2"ball mounted on the bumper. This was a 1989 s-10 with the 2.3 liter 6 cylinder. Also the camper had no brakes of any kind and i drove it half of the trip to cherrystone campground whick is about 4 hours from here. We had to replace the clutch after that trip but the truck had 185k miles on the origional clutch. Just be careful and its a little safer. There is no substitute for the propper vehicle though. And the propper vehicle is always safer than jury rigging something. I like that pic of the blazer with the 5th wheel camper i saw on here a few weeks ago that was funny!!!