Towing with 2014 Ford Explorer 4WD

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I just got my boat and trailer weighed at a friends scale. The total weight for my boat and trailer is 5049#. My unit is a 1987 19ft Celebrity Calais Cuddy and its on a tandem axle trailer made by snowbird. The spec sheet on the boat, I have the original brochure, gives me a weight of 2800# so that leaves about 2200# for the trailer. The Ford Explorer that we are looking at purchasing comes with a class three hitch and a factory tow package and is rated for 5000#. We normally pull with our F350 but were hoping to pull the camper with that and use the Explorer to tow the boat up to the lake. Its a once in a year trip that is about 8 hours one way. Any one have any advice on what to do? Anyone tow with such a setup? 50# over the max rated is still over. Input and advice please. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Towing with 2014 Ford Explorer 4WD

So I just got my boat and trailer weighed at a friends scale. The total weight for my boat and trailer is 5049#. My unit is a 1987 19ft Celebrity Calais Cuddy and its on a tandem axle trailer made by snowbird. The spec sheet on the boat, I have the original brochure, gives me a weight of 2800# so that leaves about 2200# for the trailer. The Ford Explorer that we are looking at purchasing comes with a class three hitch and a factory tow package and is rated for 5000#. We normally pull with our F350 but were hoping to pull the camper with that and use the Explorer to tow the boat up to the lake. Its a once in a year trip that is about 8 hours one way. Any one have any advice on what to do? Anyone tow with such a setup? 50# over the max rated is still over. Input and advice please. Thanks.

Ayuh,.... That Ain't truck enough,.... does the wagon have workin' Brakes,..??

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

One a year trip... Rent a U-haul truck! I wouldn't subject an exploder to that much weight for that long of a trip, unless you like replacing transmissions.

But if you do, what was in the boat and how much fuel? You might be able to drop quite a bit of weight by making sure the tank is empty, and offload EVERYTHING that isn't bolted down to the other vehicle/camper.

Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Get a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L. Scrap the "Exploder" purchase.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bondo......yuup brakes on both axles. Boat was empty bar from a 1/4 tank of fuel. Decided to scrap the Explorer purchase. Will just do two trips.

Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Two trips.... that is what we do with camper and boat.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the input guys! I know its not alot over...........but still over! There is a reason they say 5000#. I tend to be very cautious and conservative when it comes to towing.....anything. Too many idiots that dont give a dime about others.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Get the dealer to let you take the Explorer home for an overnight demonstration. Slap a receiver hitch and ball on there and take your boat for a little "test tow."

Like was said earlier, the manufacturers are very conservative on towing capacities for legal reasons.

The Explorer has the horsepower to do the job. If it tows acceptably, spend $150 plus labor to put a secondary cooler on the transmission. You're going to have a good warranty on the drive train and transmission for the foreseeable future.

It's just a shame that the Expeditions and the Tahoes are up in there in price now--seriously expensive. I bought my first Expedition for $24.5K--1/2 what they now cost.

ssoper

Seaman Apprentice

2011-2014 Dodge Durango's or Jeep Grand Cherokees will handle that load

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Isn't 2200 lbs about 800-1000 lbs heavier than most trailers for a boat that size?

oldandintheway

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer that I use for towing. I was surprised to learn that U-Haul will not rent any tow trailer to a Ford Explorer driver. There has been on going litigation between Ford and U-Haul over safety issues.
I can tow up to 5400 #.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer that I use for towing. I was surprised to learn that U-Haul will not rent any tow trailer to a Ford Explorer driver. There has been on going litigation between Ford and U-Haul over safety issues.
I can tow up to 5400 #.

Apparently they will rent to 2012 and newer explorers. (or mercury mountaineers, which are identical...)

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

2011-2014 Dodge Durango's or Jeep Grand Cherokees will handle that load

This would work, especially with the Hemi or Diesel, the V6 would work too much and confuse the 8speed....

I'm REALLY amazed how much weight your trailer and boat registered on the scale..... And also- 5,000lbs capacity is an EMPTY vehicle with 1 person, add a vacation worth of stuff and a few passengers you can easily add 1,000lbs to the car.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

The current Ford Explorers are front drive based crossovers with all wheel drive. They are not the best set up for towing. The Jeep and Durango with the Hemi will be superior tow vehicles in that size category. They have more power than larger trucks and an 8 speed ZF automatic trans that will make towing that load comfortable. They also offer trailer sway control.

haulnazz15

Captain

You must have the heaviest 20' tandem trailer ever, lol. 2,200lbs is about double what a typical tandem trailer weighs in that length.