Towing covered

roostonu

Cadet
I just bought a boat and now I need a cover for it. While looking at covers, I see that some say they are trailerable. Would towing the boat for long distances with a cover on do any damage like chafing the gel coat or upholstery.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Towing covered

I just bought a boat and now I need a cover for it. While looking at covers, I see that some say they are trailerable. Would towing the boat for long distances with a cover on do any damage like chafing the gel coat or upholstery.

no. But towing with a cover thats not recommended for towing can't be good.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Most definately yes. Whereever the cover flaps it will impact on what it hits. Once I had an unused grommet flapping on the motor hood and it destroyed the fiberglass. Rubbing on upholstery will chafe the vinyl. Sharp edges will put a hole in the cover.

Be sure it is tied down tight so it doesnt flap in the wind. Buy a piece of canvas and sew small covers to go over the tops of the seats. Put foam rubber over the windshield and large protruding cleats. Do all that and the cover will last 10 years or more of highway travel.

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have had too many bad experiences towing covered. Regardless of what the manufacturer says, the following is what I have encountered:

1. If the cover does make it the distance, the eyelets have been straining the whole way, leading to a shorter eyelet life.

2. See the word IF above, rated for towing or not, I have had a cover rip in two pieces when going over a bridge. A cross wind got it just enough to lift the front up and that was all it took.

3. If its a snap on cover see reason 1 above. The snaps on the boat also loosen up from the constant pressure of the cover fighting with the wind.

4. If its a tie down cover the bungies, or rope constantly rubs the whole way there and back.

Basically I will never tow covered again. To me the minimal amount of things I am protecting against isn't worth having to buy another $1000 marine cover in the near future. Most things that damage an uncovered boat take time to do so, i.e. sunlight, bird droppings, constant rain, tree sap, etc. If anything my boat is cleaner after towing it uncovered because the wind has blown away the pollen, leaves, etc that got under the cover.

Rwebber77

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I also tow uncovered due to a flapping cover causing damage to my gelcoat, and not to mention all the rips in the cover. I've learned it's much easier to vacuum out a boat's interior than buying new covers all the time. Of course, my worst experience was while driving 65mph into a 35-45mph headwind with gusts even higher. :eek:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

towing with a cover will destroy the cover and damage the boat, I have YET to see a boat/cover that can sustain towing for any distance without a chance of damage to either. Eventually it will always catch up to you.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I have had too many bad experiences towing covered. Regardless of what the manufacturer says, the following is what I have encountered:

1. If the cover does make it the distance, the eyelets have been straining the whole way, leading to a shorter eyelet life.

2. See the word IF above, rated for towing or not, I have had a cover rip in two pieces when going over a bridge. A cross wind got it just enough to lift the front up and that was all it took.

3. If its a snap on cover see reason 1 above. The snaps on the boat also loosen up from the constant pressure of the cover fighting with the wind.

4. If its a tie down cover the bungies, or rope constantly rubs the whole way there and back.

Basically I will never tow covered again. To me the minimal amount of things I am protecting against isn't worth having to buy another $1000 marine cover in the near future. Most things that damage an uncovered boat take time to do so, i.e. sunlight, bird droppings, constant rain, tree sap, etc. If anything my boat is cleaner after towing it uncovered because the wind has blown away the pollen, leaves, etc that got under the cover.

Some good points, and lessons to be learned.

My "family boat" only goes 3 miles to the ramp, so I never cover. But the "vacation boat" goes on a 400 mile trip twice a year and is filled with goodies and camping equipment , so I would never consider trailering it uncovered. Besides it rains every year one way or the other so all the goodies would get wet....LOL.

So, what to do:
* Never buy a cover with eyelets. Always get one with nylon loops.
* Never use snaps. Buy bulk bungie, fit it to the loops and use lashing hooks instead. Install the hooks no more than 6" from the loops and no gelcoat damage will result.
* protect edges and seats like I indicated above, and most of all tie it tight and the service life will be good, wind notwithstanding.

My vacation boat was bought new in 1986 and the cover is original. The only negative on trailering is that the waterproofing needs to be restored every 4 or 5 years, while my non-trailered cover has never needed to be redone.