Towbar

Hooty

Rear Admiral
My brother-in-law ( :rolleyes: )is leaving on an odyssey in his motorhome towing hiz Toyota truck. I say he should lash the steering wheel so it doesn't turn and he sez "it ain't necessary". What say ya'll.<br /><br />Thx.& c/6<br />Hooty

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Towbar

If he is towing from front, it has to stay loose so as to turn.<br />If not it will scoot the front tires everytime he makes a turn.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello Hooty.<br />This is a standard shift I presume.Locking the steering will cause tire wear.Not locking it will make it swing and in case of emergency breaking will make it jack-knife.Locking it is the lesser of two evils.How about suggesting to get one of those little trailers that keep just the front wheels of the ground, or a towbar that hitches onto the tierods so the wheels follow the direction taken by the towbar?

JB

I agree with SBN. <br /><br />The wheel must be free to turn, following the RV.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Hmmmm.<br />Now how am I gonna tell him I was wrong and he was right? Maybe I won't. I'll just not answer the fone 'til he leaves.<br /><br />Thanks ya'll, as usual, I appreciate ya.<br />c/6<br />Hooty

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Hooty:<br />Hmmmm.<br />Now how am I gonna tell him I was wrong and he was right? Maybe I won't. I'll just not answer the fone 'til he leaves.<br /><br />Thanks ya'll, as usual, I appreciate ya.<br />c/6<br />Hooty
Hooty, just tell him to make sure he stops after 25 mile or so and check all the connections to tighten them up cause they will be loose.<br />If he is towing very far, he really needs to take the drive shaft loose also.<br />Less wear on the tranny.

Ive tow barred many a car, leave it unlocked, check the connections and get a light bar for the rear of the "TOAD" car, plugs right into your trailer connection<br /><br />Good to Tow!<br /><br /> :D