torque

montanaman

Seaman Apprentice
I understand why the manufacturers or developing 4 cylinder 150hp 4 strokes, weight. Do these engines truly produce the same kind of torque that a 150hp V6 2 stroke produces? If so why isn't the I/O putting out these kind of numbers?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: torque

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.<br /><br />In general, bigger displacement engines make more torque at a given rpm, but different engines with the same displacement also make different torque at the same rpm. Number of cylinders is usually irrelevant.<br /><br />Horsepower ratings of engines are calculated from torque and rpm. To make 150HP at a given rpm any engine has to produce the same torque as any other engine making 150HP at that rpm.<br /><br />To answer what I think your question really is you have to compare torque vs. rpm curves for the engines and multiply that by the gear ratios for the different engines, or you can simply accept the common idea that 2 strokes make "more" torque in the lower rpm ranges.<br /><br />This will probably become one more heated debate of myth vs. myth and settle nothing.<br /> :)

montanaman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: torque

JB, I'm not sure if I understand your statement about HP in the second paragraph but I believe I catch the meaning of your answer. An engine that produces its power lower in the RPM range will feel as if it has more torque than an engine that produces its power at a higher RPM regardless whether it is a 2 or 4 stroke.