Top Speed Yamaha Pro 50 (seems slow on pontoon))

dbear1959

Seaman Apprentice
My friends just bought a 22-23 foot Crest III pontoon and it has a 50 HP Yamaha pro 50 (50HP) motor. When you put the engine in gear it is very quiet and very smooth running. As you increase speed beyond idle it seems to give a slight vibration which goes away as you get near WOT. Also it seems that at wide open throttle that this boat does not go as fast as it should. There is no spedometer on the boat so I don't know exactly how fast it is going but I would guess 15mph. It has a stainless steel prop which appears to be in great shape - not sure of the pitch

This is a fairly large boat but it seems like it should go faster than this with a 50 HP on it. What do you think. Would there be any adjustment possibility in the cables for throttle to give it more speed? Would changing the prop help? Also any ideas on the vibration at speeds just over idle? Maybe we are just expecting to much from this boat powered with this size engine but I am going back this weekend to see them and any suggestions on things to try would help. Thanks!

yamaman25

Cadet
Re: Top Speed Yamaha Pro 50 (seems slow on pontoon))

I have a 25hp tiller on a 14 foot fiberglass flats boat,my motor will run 30mph:eek: with gps on smooth water.i would think it should run at least 20-30:rolleyes: