Top speed only 28mph...Is this right?

imported_Captain Morgan

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought my first boat. It's an 88 Wellcraft Classic 17' open bow ski boat with the 3.0L Mercruiser engine. It only registers 28 mph on the speedometer with 3 people on board (weighing an average of 200lbs each). This seems low to me. Is this right for this boat with this engine? If so, I'm going to be a little disappointed. I bought a new speedometer pitot tube but have not had a chance to try it out yet.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Top speed only 28mph...Is this right?

See if you can borrow a hand held GPS. That is the only way you are going to get a reading that is anywhere close to being accurate.

SWalz

Cadet

I have roughly (different year) the exact same boat. With that amount of weight on board, trimmed right on a smooth lake, I can push 40 mph on my speedo.

Solittle is right-on about the GPS. The only "true" way to get the accurate speed.

imported_Captain Morgan

Seaman Apprentice

It turns out that it was operator error. I didn't know how to adjust the trim properly. The guy who sold the boat to me said that 28 mph is about all I should expect from a 4 cylinder. After experimenting with the trim, I got it up to 38-39mph with about 400lbs of people aboard. I'm much happier nowd:)

SWalz

Cadet

Good news!!

Nothing like watching the bow rise and the side spray move back.

Not to mention the speed increasing!

imported_Captain Morgan

Seaman Apprentice

I'm still going to pick up a portable GPS so I can confirm speed. I definitely suspect my tach to be bad. It reads 3000 while idleing out past the "no wake" zone at the lake. Once underway it seems to settle down to a realistic reading. Should I just replace the gauge or is there some kind of sender like on the speedometer that I should be looking into?