Top Speed Of Our Boat?

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well, it's now running 45mph WOT, that mechanic had it up to. And, yes, new qjet installed. The one that was in it was a totally rebuilt one, not a new one. The old rebuilt one took the carb company a week to rebuild (one of theirs), but the new one was tested in one day and shipped to us the next. So, new carb and the other new parts I just told about.

tpenfield

Staff member
Well, it's now running 45mph WOT, that mechanic had it up to. And, yes, new qjet installed. The one that was in it was a totally rebuilt one, not a new one. The old rebuilt one took the carb company a week to rebuild (one of theirs), but the new one was tested in one day and shipped to us the next. So, new carb and the other new parts I just told about.
You'll want to run it a whole bunch to use up the old fuel.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I'm picturing a lot of head scratching and shoulder shrugs

I guess we can try installing another new carburetor? If that doesn't work you can always replace the carburetor

tpenfield

Staff member
Just curious . . . what is the altitude where you are going in Nevada.

Will you have more frequent use of the boat there? What does the mechanic/service prospects look like?

It seems like a lot of effort went into getting the boat running right for Colorado; wondering if there will be issues in Nevada?

LuvBoating

Just curious . . . what is the altitude where you are going in Nevada.

Will you have more frequent use of the boat there? What does the mechanic/service prospects look like?

It seems like a lot of effort went into getting the boat running right for Colorado; wondering if there will be issues in Nevada?
Lake Mead is at 1,229 ft., whereas we are at 4,880 ft.. The mechanic told us that the boat should run the same if not better.

tpenfield

Staff member
Lake Mead is at 1,229 ft., whereas we are at 4,880 ft.. The mechanic told us that the boat should run the same if not better.
Yes, probably should run fine at 1,200 ft. I'll tell you one thing about ocean boating is that, by definition, you are at sea level. :LOL:

Maybe you will go full circle and be back in Florida. :D

LuvBoating

Yes, probably should run fine at 1,200 ft. I'll tell you one thing about ocean boating is that, by definition, you are at sea level. :LOL:

Maybe you will go full circle and be back in Florida. :D
Nope! Moving back to northeastern Florida (Jacksonville) is very much an absolute NO.

airshot

Rear Admiral
When is your mechanic getting his new boat ?? With all the money he has gouged you out of with poor fixes he should be able to afford a nice one. Good luck !!

LuvBoating

When is your mechanic getting his new boat ?? With all the money he has gouged you out of with poor fixes he should be able to afford a nice one. Good luck !!
Now, your reply here, wife and I do NOT understand!

LuvBoating

@LuvBoating - perhaps you are the one that should be getting a new boat. 31 years is a good run for a boat. Maybe time for something new(er) 🤔
My wife, aka "The Queen" of our household, definitely says "no". Actually, we've seen boats, both here in northern Colorado and in northeastern Florida/Jacksonville (where our boat was bought) that was older than ours.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Now, your reply here, wife and I do NOT understand!
From your postings, your mechanic has given you some poor advice and probably charged you high dollars...especially the part about the "right" prop for your boat. Without thorough testing just replacing what was on it does not mean it was the "right" prop. Just adding a bit of humor in regards to how much you have probably spent on that mechanic and not gotten anywhere. With what marine mechanics charge, he could probably afford a new boat !!

airshot

Rear Admiral
My wife, aka "The Queen" of our household, definitely says "no". Actually, we've seen boats, both here in northern Colorado and in northeastern Florida/Jacksonville (where our boat was bought) that was older than ours.
Was not refering to the age of your boat, I have owned many that are much older. I don't feel your mechanic was giving you correct information and probably charging you very high prices for the poor service.

LuvBoating

Was not refering to the age of your boat, I have owned many that are much older. I don't feel your mechanic was giving you correct information and probably charging you very high prices for the poor service.

Well, so far, we don't have a problem with the mechanic we have. Now, once we take the boat on local lake and see how well it operates, our feelings could change. But, for now, he's a good, even great, mechanic. I don't criticize anyone that knows more than I do............and he definitely does!

LuvBoating

From your postings, your mechanic has given you some poor advice and probably charged you high dollars...especially the part about the "right" prop for your boat. Without thorough testing just replacing what was on it does not mean it was the "right" prop. Just adding a bit of humor in regards to how much you have probably spent on that mechanic and not gotten anywhere. With what marine mechanics charge, he could probably afford a new boat !!
Well, we did have the wrong size prop on the boat. Two things get changed when taking a boat from sea-level to 4,980 feet elevation: the drive anodes and the prop. Have discussed this with other boat owners and they completely agree on changing both, like we ended up doing.
Not all DIY folks are correct. But, that is our opinion.

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Over 2 1/2 years ago and this thread is familiar. Doesn't seem that long ago.

If things (carb) were set up for 4,900' and that's taken to 1200', it'll be lean. How much will it matter? Idk...

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
When you say you have the correct prop, we realize that the prop is intended for that outdrive. It fits and it's correct. HOWEVER, there are props that fit your outdrive that are pitched differently. You have a 19 pitch prop. The pitch is the angle of the blades. a 19 pitch prop should propel the boat forward 19" with each revolution. That's what the pitch is. There are hundreds of propellers out there that will fit your outdrive. There are quite a few different pitch of props for your boat. I have several for my boat. The one I use the most is a 17 pitch aluminum prop. It will get my boat on plane quickly and will run my boat at about 40 MPH at about 5500 RPM. If I'm heading on a long boat ride, where I won't be stopping an starting, but will be on plane and running at higher speeds, I use my stainless 19 pitch propeller. My boat will go 45 MPH at 4700 RPM. When I use to pull skiers and tubers, I used a 16 pitch stainless prop. My boat would go 37 MPH at 5300 RPM, but got on plane very quickly and had a strong take off or "hole shot". All of these props were correct for my motor, but all served different functions for me. We don't have transmissions on our boats. We have one speed. One of my props is like running in first gear, another more like second gear, and the third is like putting it in overdrive. A prop that is pitched too high will theoretically give you higher speed at lower RPM's, where a lower pitch will require higher RPM's to reach the same speed - if it's possible. If the pitch is too high, your motor will not be able to turn it as quickly, so speed will suffer and your motor will be bogged down. Like trying to start off in 4th gear on a stick shift car. This is why we need to know your RPM's and speed.
We are sincerely trying to help.