Toothless Pike???

NOSLEEP

Commander
Re: Toothless Pike???

Was a cold day on the lake today<br />-15c. Very slow only 1 walleye &<br />a small pike. Ice has thickened a bit 16"<br />safe to drive around on now too.<br />This lake is what we call a collapsed walleye<br />fishery. The walleye have been catch and<br />release for about 10 years now.Sure has done<br />wonders for the population. This particular lake<br />is a reservoir only about 25 years old. It was stocked with walleye about 18 years ago. Now<br />8 to 10 lbs are common. Maybe next weekend will<br />be better.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry NoSleep, I have been writing that proposal and doing presentations and been working my tail off, I have only been able to get on the computer for fun for about 5 minutes every 3 days or so.<br /><br />The chart Gonfishn posted is great. I saw the same chart only bigger posted at the fishing camp in Canada.<br /><br />I have seen more barred muskies that any other. I have personally never seen a tiger, although Brother-in-law has caught one. The only clear one I saw was the one I caught. I have never seen a spotted. I am hoping to go to Canada this next year if all works out. It seems like years since I have been fishing and it is only January. One of these years, I need to start ice fishing. It was -2 degrees here this morning with a -10 wind chill.

gonfishn

Commander

Heading to Leech Lake Thursday to do some Fishing and watch the SB in my Fish House. Don't know if you saw my post on my "SuperBowl Digs" But here I will be at a warm 10 below or better. The Tiger Muskie for sure is the most exciting fresh water fish I have ever chased. Scoop where you at in Wisconsin? Walker Minn. is my home away from Home.<br /><br />Scoop check out Leech Lake in Walker Minn. JB and 495v have been known to chase Ole gator Eyes in that area. Although Canada does have the Monsters.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Hello Scoop & Gonfishn<br />We ventured up into the mountains on the weekend<br />Spray Lakes, In Canmore just out side Banff <br />National Park. Beautiful weather no wind sunny<br />skies. Fishing for lake trout in the deep clear<br />water, catching them consistently in about 75ft,<br />just small ones though 2 to 3 lbs. They taste<br />great on the barbecue fresh.We will go back this<br />weekend, right now it is snowing about -15 <br />hopefully there wont be to much snow.Maybe I <br />will get to use my new snow chains I got for<br />christmas.<br />Keep your rod up & keep fishn. :)

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Gonfishn, I did see the Superbowl digs. With a nice place like that I would spend all my time there.<br /><br />I am about 30 minutes north of Madison. There are 2 lakes within 5 miles of my house that have muskie in them. They are a part of the Fox river. I have not fished for muskie there yet. They caught of bunch of them in the carp traps that were put out on one of the lakes. <br /><br />Nosleep, sounds like some great fishing and some cold air. We were little warmer than you this morning. My Thermometer was at -8 with a decent wind. The ice shoudl be nice and thick no matter where you are in Wisconsin now. I wish we ahd some snow though. Dry as a desert. <br /><br />Leech Lake near Walker? Looked at the map, looks like a great area to fish. We went up to Northern WI near Manitowish waters this spring. Unfortunately the fishing was bad. I was with 6 of brother-in-laws fishing a good muskie lake and did not catch 1 fish period. The water was way high though. We saw some Muskie in the shallows, but nothing bit. The bushes at the edge of the lake were under water.

NOSLEEP

Commander

gonfishn<br />We all know what happened in the superbowl<br />But haven't heard how the superbowl digs<br />turned out. Any fish?

gonfishn

Commander

It was freeeeez cold NoSleep. Caught alot of monster perch and other pan fish. Biggest Northern went about 30 inches. People a little leary this year about going out on the Lakes. Some homes are falling through where in the past you could drive a car on. Winter is just as cold as ever but some parts only a few inches thick.<br /><br />Ice fishing is ok but not alot of excitement when pulling them out of the hole. I miss hearing the zing on my line when one of those hogs hit. As usual the boys took me to the cleaners in five card. Had a great time though and will be there next year when the Packers will win it all.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Sounds like you had an all around good time.<br />Must have been cold only for a short time for<br />there to be so little ice. I like to ice fish<br />mostly out of necessity because ice starts in <br />November and can last to May. So fishing from the<br />boat can be a short season. Still i cant wait to<br />put my boat back in the water. Lots of ice fishing<br />to be done yet though !

digimortal777

Petty Officer 1st Class

why are they called "northern" pike in the US<br /><br />over here we just call em plain old pike<br /><br />the younger ones are called jack-pike

NOSLEEP

Commander

northern pike, great northern pickerel, <br />great northern pike, jack, jack fish,<br />pickerel, chain pickerel, marsh pickerel<br />hammer handle, pike, water wolf, gator, slinker<br />and snake. All are common names for pike.<br />I think they are refereed to as northern pike here<br />in Canada & the U.S.A because they are more common<br />& abundant the more north you get.<br />The all-tackle angling record weighed 25 kg<br />(55 pounds) was caught in Germany in 1986<br />The north American angling record for pike was<br />46 pounds 2 oz. it was caught in New York's<br />Scanandaga Reservoir in September 1940.<br />The largest Canadian pike reported was taken in <br />1890 from Lake Tschotogama in Quebec at just <br />under 49 lbs.

gonfishn

Commander

I must say NoSleep you sure have done your research in the explanation area. In March I'll pull my boat out to begin my pursuit for the elusive Hog.<br /><br />If you want to see how fanatic I am on Gator Eyes go to "Boat Projects" and click on Imron Paint. The Mural will say it all. Not quite finished yet on the refurbishing project.<br /><br />Where do you hail from DigiMortal777. What do you like to fish for?

digimortal777

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ireland dude<br /><br />Pike ,Trout ,Perrch and roach<br /><br />we have bream and rudd to but why anyone would wanna fish for them is beyond me

gonfishn

Commander

OK DM I'll take the hook on this one. What is a roach or am I that far removed from reality? Only roach I can relate to are the ones that crawl

digimortal777

Petty Officer 1st Class

A roach isa small fish about the size of an english perch , they are silvery and make awesome bait for pike , i use em on an ARCHER spinning rig, you put your bait fish on there and troll it slowly , the fish spoins looking like an injured fish and as soon as a pike sees that its all over<br /><br />roach can usually be caght in canals and at narrow rivers , they can be caught on worms , bread , maggots , even an empty hook has got me a few of em

NOSLEEP

Commander

Gonfishn<br />When you replied "some of the homes are fallen<br />through" I just assumed, homes was a southern name<br />for fish shack! Just the other day I was watching<br />a show about ice fishing near you. HOLY COW they<br />are homes. carpeting, central heating, microwaves<br />running water, kitchens, vacuuming. You guys take<br />your ice fishing to a new level. Sounds pretty<br />comfortable. Can you get take out! :cool:

gonfishn

Commander

HMMM...does that mean I am old as dirt lol...Its not liking sitting on buckets from the old days. A friend of mine custom builds em and you can put some pretty serious bucks in these "shacks". Don't forget insert fire places. <br /><br />Not to change the subject that same friend of mine was given a house on our lake. All he has to do is move it about a mile down from me. Yep he is going somehow roll it to lakes edge and scoot it across the ice down to its new resting place. Water at that point is only two to three feet and solid ice....Point A to point B has to cross over 1,000 feet of shore line which we own.<br /><br />If this adventure fails I will have a temporary ice house for the winter or alot of wood for the fire pit this summer. The home that is being moved is a two story with about 2300 Sg.(nice Home). Project will start soon and you know I'll have the pictures to share with you. <br /><br />Was not Avoiding you NoSleep just haven't been here as much as the political threads which I should stay off of. Helps Keeps me from shooting off my mouth ......Stay in touch...