Took on water, do these pics give a clue why?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Took on water, do these pics give a clue why?

My manual says nothing about gluing it, but I can sure see why it would be a good idea to at least put a bit of gasket sealer on it. What do you use? Permatex Black?
So would that rubber gasket being out of place have caused my issue or is it just icing on the cake?

Not sure what manual you have but if you look(the only one you should be using) at the Merc. service manual #6, page 2a-15 you'll see they have a large bold item about making sure that rubber gasket stays in place upon installation:
Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 6 - 1983-1990 - R, MR, Alpha One & Alpha One SS Sterndrives

In service manual #14 for the gen 2 drives, they actually added the words "glued in" for the gasket:
Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 14 - 1991-Current - Sterndrives Alpha One Gen II</

Merc. bellows adhesive is what I use or some folks use contact cement.

As the manuals state, without that ring properly positioned water will leak into the boat.
Seems like you need to fix that obvious item first and see if there's still an issue.

Mark

IGeeky1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, yes on page 2a-10 of service manual #6 it does say in bold

"Bell housing rubber gasket MUST BE in position before installing stern drive unit, or water may leak into bell housing bore during operation"

Still not seeing where it says to use glue or adhesive though.

Also "water in bell housing bore" sounds more to me like I would screw up my gimball bearing vs getting water in boat. Once again, I don't know and that's why I'm asking, just don't see why things should be obvious to me...

Obviously I screwed up and did not keep the rubber gasket in position and have admitted to some adhesive seeming like a good idea, thank you for the bellows adhesive suggestion.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

OK, yes on page 2a-10 of service manual #6 it does say in bold

"Bell housing rubber gasket MUST BE in position before installing stern drive unit, or water may leak into bell housing bore during operation"

Still not seeing where it says to use glue or adhesive though.

Also "water in bell housing bore" sounds more to me like I would screw up my gimball bearing vs getting water in boat. Once again, I don't know and that's why I'm asking, just don't see why things should be obvious to me...

Obviously I screwed up and did not keep the rubber gasket in position and have admitted to some adhesive seeming like a good idea, thank you for the bellows adhesive suggestion.

Ayuh,.... With water in the bellows, the gimbel bearin' is the only thing stoppin' the water from enterin' the boat,...
'n the cavity is vented into the hull,...