Took boat to "marine mechanic" and now it's not drivable

kytooner

Seaman Apprentice
So my 94 Mariner 60hp was at least drivable before. Occasionally it would act up while driving but usually I could give it full gas and clear up. But it always started and idled reliably. took it to a "marine mechanic" to rebuild carbs and fuel pump and check spark plug wires.

He says he cleaned carbs. There were not carb parts purchased not really what I consider rebuilding carbs. Nor did he rebuild fuel pump or touch it for that matter. And said I had good spark. Needless to say this was not the kind of service I was hoping for. Figuring best to cut my losses.

Bottom two cylinders have spark plugs covered in oil. Lots of oil in water.
Unless I put it in fast idle the engine will die.

So if he did in fact take carbs off and clean them is it most likely a carb issue?

Im assuming bad gas would not cause two cylinders to get oil covered plugs.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A leaking fuel pump diagram will cause the lower cylinders to load up with fuel and oil. of course that is just a guess.

kytooner

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks! That's a direction. And since I requested the pump be rebuilt then I'll try the fuel pump rebuild. I guess it's possible that just unlucky the pump completely tanked after visiting the mechanic.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you decide to do a diy fuel pump rebuild which is not difficult pay close attention to the assembly sequence of those gaskets inside. it makes a big difference and the shop manual is not very clear. You can guess why I know.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
There's really not much to those carbs. Just tedious to take them apart. So if you are careful and do not lose some small parts he may not have needed any carb parts. He may have gotten those fuel pump diaphram/gaskets out of sequence causing the problem you are experiencing. Getting them back in the right sequence may require some help. The problem for me was that the motor ran fine out of the water but on the water no go until I got those gaskets in the right order. I should have taken photos when I took it apart the first time.

kytooner

Seaman Apprentice
Well yes it's possible they were taken out and put back in but they are over 10 years old and sat for 10 years with bad gas. They are a ticking time bomb. Which is why I requested they be rebuilt.

Took it to a different mechanic with carb and fuel pump rebuild kits in hand. And said rebuild the carb and the fuel pump. He rebuilt the fuel pump. And said he gave it a tune up 2 hours of labor more. And I still don't have rebuilt carbs. On the good side he did it the same day and At least I'm back to it running like it did when I first started.

Guess I'm going to haul 3 hours to a mechanic that said the carbs should have been rebuilt before ever starting it.
\

Last edited:

T/O

Seaman Apprentice
Nowadays they don't know how to rebuild a Carb
Everything is electronic

kytooner

Seaman Apprentice
Guy #1 don't think he knew how.
Guy #2 Probably knew how as he actually got the carbs adjusted better (no hesitation between low and high jets that use to be there). But he can haul a Houseboat out of water, do a lower unit check and make $2400 in the same amount of time that he did mine.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
There can be something said for taking your boat to somewhere bigger than a one-man operation. At least that way there's a service writer and shop manager to hold accountable in addition to your credit card company being on your side. I hope mechanic #3 works out for you.