Tomos 4hp air cooled.........Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

svdsniper

Cadet
Hi

I have a Tomos 4hp air cooled outboard that has a stop button to kill the engine. I removed the rear panel that the stop buttong was fitted to and then found i had some loose wires. one white wire comes from the stop button and has an eyelet on the loose end but i cant see where it was connected before, the other white wire comes from a plastic connector block under the carb and seems to join a few other sheathed wires and disapears into the engine so i suspect this goes to the coil???
Can anyone with one of these motors please guide me on where to connect these wires so that i can be sure that i have it right as i can not locate a wiring diagram anywhere on the internet.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Jeremy T

Seaman
Re: Tomos 4hp air cooled.........Help please!

The white wire sounds like a ground. I have a little nissan outboard with this same set up. 1 wire with an eyelet that is tightened down by a screw on the engine and then some wires go up to the ignition under the flywheel.

svdsniper

Cadet

Hi Jeremy T

The problem i have is that one of the wires does seem to come from the engine/ignition and the other is definatly from the stop switch. The problem now is that it is possible that i connect the wire from the ignition/engine to the stop switch and earth the stop switch to ground but this stop switch only has a single terminal comprising of a single screw and washer at its rear so connecting the ignition to this would take it straight to ground via the wire that is already fitted here???
Any ideas?
Would photos help?

Thanks

Kevin

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi kevin, yes photos always help. if you have model number year and serial number that is helpful too. do you have an electrical test light?

svdsniper

Cadet

Hi Narwhals

I will get some photos this evening. I have a volt meter to hand but not a lamp for circuit testing. Will add photos this evening if all goes well.

Thanks

Kevin

svdsniper

Cadet

Hi

Ok i have been running my motor this evening on 50:1 marine 2 cycle mix and it was running much better (had a 25:1 mix and was running bad as it seems normal 2 cycle is 25:1 and marine is 50:1) anyway i could not stop the motor unless i pulled the spark plug cap or fuel line. I have re-atached one of the whte wires where it was when i recieved this motor and left the kill switch one loose as it seems to have been loose when i recieved this motor. I now believe that these two wires need to be connected but am not 100% sure. Photos show what i am faced with.
http://www.freedrive.com/file/1471303
http://www.freedrive.com/file/1471305
http://www.freedrive.com/file/1471307
http://www.freedrive.com/file/1471308
http://www.freedrive.com/file/1471309
Basically the white wire that comes from the engine was connected to an earthed screw on the small removable fascia so surely this creates an earth and should stop the engine? the white wire goes to the engine via the blue plastic connector block and then into a grey sheathed cable that goes up behind the carb and into the engine via the left hand black rubber grommet shown in one of the photos.
Thanks

Kevin

Attachments

• P1070450 (Medium).JPG
    P1070450 (Medium).JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1070452 (Medium).JPG
    P1070452 (Medium).JPG
    53 KB · Views: 0
  • P1070455 (Medium).JPG
    P1070455 (Medium).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1070453 (Medium).JPG
    P1070453 (Medium).JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P1070454 (Medium).JPG
    P1070454 (Medium).JPG
    60 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

svdsniper

Cadet

Hi

I have been in contact with a Dutch TOMOS dealer and he tells me that the white wire with the eyelet should go to one of the engine bolts and the white wire from the connection block goes to the stop switch, ok so if i connect in this way surely i have created a dead short to ground as my stop switch has a single screw to make a connection to and by joining the two wires to this switch creates a through path to ground. any ideas???
Originally the white wire that comes from the engine wiring loom seems to have been connected to a screw directly to the removable fascia plate, now im thinking if i do this again and then connect the eyelet from the single pole stop switch to one of the engine bolts then this stop switch would act to create a short to stop the motor but only if the lower engine cowl is fully isolated from the main engine, does anyone know if the lower cowl is electrically isolated from the main engine???
Will buzz it out with a meter tomorrow and find out as this would work i guess.

Kevin

thanks

kevin

Last edited:

svdsniper

Cadet

Hi

I have buzzed out the lower cowl and it is not electrically isolated from the engine. now i am looking at the stop switch and thinking maybe it is not the original. Does the TOMOS have a single connection on its stop switch or should it have two connections for two separate wires?

thanks

kevin

svdsniper

Cadet

Hi

I seem to have solved the wiring issue on my own, it turned out that i simply connect the connected white wire from the wiring loom to the stop switch and throw the other one in the bin as it would appear that the extra one that was causing all the confusion was added by the previous owner.
Now i have one last issue............the motor runs but after a while it will choke itself and stall and then it will be very hard to start and then become flooded. Upon stripping the carb i have i believe identified the problem as the float needle valve works as it should if i gently hold it closed and pump the priming bulb but when the carb is on the motor and i pump the priming bulb i can very easilly floob the engine so i believe that the float is not floating as high as it should. I have a used carb inbound so will try this replacement carb and hopefully all will be well, if this replacement carb has the same issue then i will remove the float from my existing carb and solder on a copper washer to take up the slack where the float is floating lower than it should in the fuel bowl.

Best regards

Kevin

svdsniper

Cadet

Hi

I have now replaced the suspected faulty float and my Tomos 4 is purring like a pussycat. I replaced the throttle cable that was well worn with a cut down product sample from work and all is good, she runs nice and reliable now. Thanks to the two members who took the time to post. This info is posted as it may help others with the same motor/symptoms.

kevin

svdsniper

Cadet

Hi

Back again with another problem.
My Tomos 4HP starts and runs well from cold, i can go for a ride up river for around 20-30 mins but on the return trip the engine suffers a loss of power and if stalled can be hard to restart. I have fresh fuel, new carb float and cleaned the valve and seat. I have also just renewed the fuel hose from external tank as it was a bit ropey and whilst testing today in a water filled wheelie bin it still stalled and was hard to restart. I could start it easier on choke but it would not run with or without choke, it simply started and died again.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.