tohatsu m30a3 stalls when throttled up

bubbasblazer

Seaman Apprentice
I have 30HP 2stroke m30a3 tohatsu that is usually very reliable. Went duck hunting and I was stalling. I finally got it fired and it ran great. Went to leave and it would stall as soon as I touched the throttle. I suspected the primer ball I removed it and ran straight from my fuel filter with no issues. However the next trip it died while idling at thra ramp. I replaced all lines and fitting, and primer ball, as well as fuel/water seperator. I noticed the small clear sight bowl was slightly leaking so I removed it all together and ran new lin straight from the motor fuel fittin up to the fuel pump. Fired on 2nd pull idled great, touch the throttle and it still stalls. Carb was recently cleaned but I took it and havent re installed yet to test again. Does this even sound like a carb issue . Or should I look somewhere else? Any help would be appreciated ... Sitting home during duck season is driving me crazy.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: tohatsu m30a3 stalls when throttled up

Have you checked fuel pump internal diaphragms condition, probably are shot and engine dies as soon you give throttle, try primming the bulb once engine starts to die, if engine springs back to life you have a fuel pump issue. Carb bowl should not leak, seems a bad bowl o'ring, replace with a new one.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

bubbasblazer

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your reply, the carb bowl is good its the small "sight glass" that was leaking but I removed it and straight from the motor fitting to the fuel pump. Before I replaced everything and while on the water I did try to pump the ball but it had no effect on thee issue, I did pop apart the fuel pump and no tears in the rubber ect. While on the water it did straighten out after wiggling the fitting on the tank, thats what lead to replacement of everything. I put th. Ill e carb back on tonight and gonna test run tomorrow . I will try the squeeze the ball trick again, it is a wal mart tank and thinkin all thats left maymay be the fuel pickup line

bubbasblazer

Seaman Apprentice

Seems tnat it was something wirh the carb. Put it together and test ran it in a bucket. And it started right up, even raised the throttle up and it never stalled or hesitated, was gonna run it this a.m. to go duckin but... ended up having a leaky wax ring on my toilet. Gotta wait till this weekend for sea trial.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Running an engine on a bucket al neutral and idle is completely different than running same engine at load at sea, what works ok on a bucket probably won't work well at load at sea. Idle and load are two opposite working parameters.

Happy Boating