Tohatsu 9.9 to 15 conversion question

razzle

Recruit
Re: Tohatsu 9.9 to 15 conversion question

Thanks guys. Was just checking that it was actually done cos it feels the same.
Heres a pic

pvanv

Admiral

Looks like you have the 9.9 cam. If you notice in Luis' photos, the 15 cam has a taller "hill", that is located later in the throttle travel.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Razzle, to start with, would be interesting to know which specific model you intend to update, depending on the model both 9.9 & 15 HP have different timming marks. Seems there is a complete cam confussion, both posted pics corresponds to the 15D2 cam model, 9.9D2 has a different cam.

Probably previous 9.9B/9.9B2 models have different cams as shown on first pics of the post. In any case when swapping cams and at full throttle, you should have butterfly wide open at 180?, must adjust can roller rod height by means of lateral nut accordingly to achieve this wot position to have the extra available punch. You cannot update a 9.9/15 to 18 as both blocks are completely different animals, 18 has 50 CC more than 9.9/15 HP models.

Paul, seems that previous 9.9 B2 models had different carbs right ?

Happy Boating

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am pretty new to these outboards. I have a old 7.5 Mercury 2 stroke and am looking at buying a new Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke to replace it.
I am looking at the weight difference between a 9.8 and a 15 (2011 models) and the difference is like 33 lbs. So I am guessing these are completely different animals and the 9.9-15 conversion only applies to older models and not to newer 9.8 models? I'd love to find a 15 HP 80 lb four stroke motor for my 12' Gamefisher.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You cannot convert any 2/4 strokes 9.8 into 9.9/15 HP, are different animals, you could convert any new 2 strokes 9.9 into 15 HP for peanuts.

Happy Boating

Giovanny

Recruit

Hi all,

I have just found this site and have a question regarding whic cam to order for the 9.9/15 conversion.

On Internetoutboards, there are cams for serials above or below 71413.
My serial is 004271XF, Model 2006, M9.9D2 - the serial looks just different than the 5 digit number above.

Am I correct in that I need the cam for serials below 71413?

Best regards,
Giovanny

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Post a pic of the actual cam & carb...

Happy Boating

Giovanny

Recruit

here we go...
note: This is in "no gas" position. The wheel that is suppused to touch the cam only connects at about "half gas" and actually moves just before full throttle.

Throttle advance cam 01.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hi all,

I have just found this site and have a question regarding whic cam to order for the 9.9/15 conversion.

On Internetoutboards, there are cams for serials above or below 71413.
My serial is 004271XF, Model 2006, M9.9D2 - the serial looks just different than the 5 digit number above.

Am I correct in that I need the cam for serials below 71413?

Best regards,
Giovanny

Merry Christmas. Please start your OWN thread about this and not hiujack an older one.

BobGlover

Seaman

I received the 15 hp throttle cam from Internet Outboards and it looks like it will fit ok. Problem is I don't have enough space to unscrew the two 8mm nuts that hold the old throttle cam. Does anyone know the best way to change out the two throttle cams?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You must remove the mechanical link (round black plastic) or ball joint nut from coil plate assy, once completely free, turn flywheel to side so a proper clearance is achieved to access both underneath nuts. Probaby will need to give a proper wire pack slack at back flywheel to help rotate it side ways.

Happy Boating

BobGlover

Seaman

Thanks a lot! I'll try it this weekend & let everyone know what speed increase I get.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Thanks a lot! I'll try it this weekend & let everyone know what speed increase I get.

Which 9.9 letter model do you currently have ? sometimes it's not just a cam swap. 15 HP horses have slight more timming and gas intake than 9.9 horses. That's why have more punch being same CC.

Happy Boating

seahorse77

Cadet

You must remove the mechanical link (round black plastic) or ball joint nut from coil plate assy, once completely free, turn flywheel to side so a proper clearance is achieved to access both underneath nuts. Probaby will need to give a proper wire pack slack at back flywheel to help rotate it side ways.

Happy Boating

Hi SeaRider,

I'm a bit late to the thread, but I'm wondering do you think it's
possible for me to do the conversion w/o taking my sailboat out
of the water?

I just cleaned my old carb, but I'm thinking to upgrade and
was wondering how detailed the steps were... Any thoughts
appreciated.

Seahorse 77

pvanv

Admiral

The conversion could be done on the water, but since the 9.9 is not heavy, you could pull the motor and do it ashore. Unless, of course the motor is in an enclosed well, and therefore difficult to remove. Always the risk of dropping bits into the drink.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Hi SeaRider,

I'm a bit late to the thread, but I'm wondering do you think it's
possible for me to do the conversion w/o taking my sailboat out
of the water?

I just cleaned my old carb, but I'm thinking to upgrade and
was wondering how detailed the steps were... Any thoughts
appreciated.

Seahorse 77

Hola Seahorse,

To start with, full throttle grip to know which is your actual timing?, should be 20? or 22? ? Being both horses 250 cc, no problem...Check pic so to know how to determine factory settings. Post yours or if you can determine the actual ? setting, let know. After that, the rest is very simple, can post remaining tech details. As recommended by Paul, better remove horse from sailboat and take it to safe shore, you don't want parts being removed falling into deep sea...

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Factory Advance Timing.JPG
    Factory Advance Timing.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 9