Tohatsu 9.8 Looks Like The One For Me

Since the death of my 5hp Honda, I've been looking for a replacement with a little more hp. The Yamaha 8 is too expensive. The used 2-stroke market is tempting, but the motors are from the 1980's. The Tohatsu 9.8 seems to best bank for the buck at around $1,600. My question about this motor is before I get it, will I have regrets? My old Honda was problematic & Honda dealers I talk to about it seem to unanimously agree that model wasn't perfect. I hope the Tohatsu has better corrosion protection. My Honda ate the aluminum away in the head's cooling system on the bottom exhaust valve side. The lower crank seal blew letting water in the oil. The plastic pull starter gear was prone to breakage. These are some of the things that kept me from being satisfied with my 5hp experience. I am well versed in preventative maint of an outboard, so I do take care of them. Seems the Tohatsu experts hang out on this board, so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks for any comments on the Tohatsu 9.8

hoytultratec

Cadet
Re: Tohatsu 9.8 Looks Like The One For Me

i just bought a nissan 8 hp for a kicker, tohatsu makes nissan and mercury small outboards..you should have no regrets. i got the 20 inch shaft electric start with charging system just installed yesterday. just need to order a ez steer bar and im ready to go.

hoyt

snoking

Cadet

I had a Tohatsu 8 hp for many years. Very good motor. I believe the 9.8 is the same 56 lb unit. SNOKING

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

All brands corrode equally today. The Tohatsu 9.8 is as good as anything else out on the market.

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you know what year Honda 5 HP there were troubles with ?(What year was yours?) Thanks.

I just bought a used one and now Im holding my breath although Ive never held my breath with Honda before.

My Honda 5hp was a year 2000 bought in December of that year. I think they haven't changed much since then. To see the corrosion problem, you would need to pull the head. I bet you'll be surprised how much salt builds up in the cooling passages even if you flush it every time. To break the plastic recoil starter gear, the engine just needs to misfire & rock back while being pulled. Always check your oil for possible water. If it even looks a little like chocolate milk, change the 2 lower main seals. Honda is a great brand & I trust them without hesitation on everything but the 5hp outboard. I sincerely hope you have a good experience with yours. Keep in mind I did run it hard & lots of hours, but wouldn't buy it again considering if I bought a 6hp Tohatsu(like Porta-Bote recommended) it would have costed a lot less.

Yipee!!! My problem is solved. Last night I bought a used 9.9 2-stroke Yamaha for 1/4 the price of the Tohatsu. Its extremely clean & well kept & purrs. At 68lbs, its only 8lbs heavier than the old 5hp Honda.