To remove the glaze in the cylinders or not?

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
I just pulled my head off my 3.0 a while ago due to a blown head gasket. I had the head resurfaced, as well as the exhaust ports on the head and the manifold.

Upon inspection of my cylinder walls, I can see small areas of very,slight glazing about mid way in the cylinders.

Q:Is it a stupid idea to sandpaper with 600 or higher wet paper this area in a crosshatch pattern?..or should I leave well enough alone and reassemble as is?

I'm not about to pull the engine now and re ring and hone the walls at this point. I just want to get back on the water and maybe look at this in the winter. The engine was not consuming any oil whatsoever and had been running well before the gasket blew between cylinder 2 and 3. (I lost compression on both cylinders and it wouldn't start anymore and that's how I knew(suspected) the gasket had blown.)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: To remove the glaze in the cylinders or not?

DO NOT use any abrasive cleaners unless your gonna dissasemble it to clean the abrasive debris from the rings.
carefully clean all gasket surfaces,check the head for warpage,fill the combustion chambers with diesel and look for valve leakage. if all are ok reassemble.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for th reply rodbolt. I didn't want use use any cleaners per say. I just want to know if it's ok to sandpaper the cylinder walls where the glaze is? (I can put a rag so that any dust/debris will not get to the rings).

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

You will never catch all the abrasive using a rag stuffed into the cylinder, not to mention the issue of removing the abrasive material that will be left embedded in the cylinder itself. I would take rodbolts advice.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...........

Either,........ Fix it Right,..... Or Reassemble it As it Is......

As stated,.... You Can't properly Clean it when it's Still Assembled.....

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Ok I hear you all clear. Thx.8)