To Build a Boat (any boat)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

that looks cool too.... looks a lil more complicated. would probabaly handle a 40 hp? :D <br /><br />-edit- just got looking at the plans on my slow speed connection and I think I agree with you... that looks like an inexpensive multipurpose fun lil boat. Doesnt look as complicated when ya see the plans. I think the only change I would make is to put a long bench down the center to make weight proportioning easier when in operation. Looks nice too.<br /><br />Glad to see you getting into the spirit of things here. :) As always post lots of pics<br /> <br /><br />you dont like my 50:50 hardener/resin mix? lol made the minimax pretty solid. scares me with that method where ya lay plain resin out with nothing to cure.... I can see using little hardener but none at all seems like it would just leave a wet sticky surface between the hardened layer and the wood. <br /><br />Yes lark you must test it out and let us know :D

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

planning on doing that test this week, I have stuff all time for the next three days, but I will try and do it.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

http://www.muskokaseaflea.ca/HTML/BuildMiniMax/BMM01.htm <br /><br />That link is a site where 2 of the minimax boats you saw on the link you provided were built. <br /><br />I had to questions some of their methods in building but their end results are a couple of the nicest max's on that list of pictures.<br /><br />I can only believe that there was a lot and I mean a lot of finish work involved before paint.<br /><br />also notice at the end with the pics of both finished boats how much freeboard there is on the green one with the 20 hp. its almost swamped with noone in it. couldnt do that here without making tall cockpit coamings to keep the lil chop from coming in. I'm considering some fashion of high coamings and a windshield on the front to keep the cockpit dryer as I still intend to go with a bigger motor when I find one cheap enough. :D 10 - 15 hp should be plenty fast enough i suspect.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I'd change a few things myself on that boat if I built it. First it's rated or recommended for a 2-3 hp, probably due to the transom and maybe the light construction of the bottom. I'd have to beef up the transom for sure, I'd like to run a ten hp. Second, the bottom is rounded more or less all the way to the stern. I'd like to reshape the last frame and the transom for a flat bottom or very shallow vee. This would make her safer with more horsepower as well (more stable in the turns). Faster too hopefully. :D I dunno, I just can't leave good enough alone most of the time. I think I like some of those runabout hydroplanes if I could change the topside so it would be easier to explore and fish out of one.<br /><br />My grand plan (for now) is to build a small boat that I can get away with when I have to and sell the two boats in my signature. Than I'd like to spend a little more time and build something like this:<br /><br />
PH16_in_the_water.jpg
<br /><br />That would be an ambitious (and expensive) project I'm sure.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think a better built transom and a long bench seat, I dont think it matters that your using 1/4 inch on the bottom... the keels underneath will sturdy that issue... I think it would handle a 10 hp no problem. just use 3/4" for the transom and a piece of pine across the top to make it thicker and that much stronger.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

You don't think a keelson or stringer would be needed? That Plyak CPJ is pretending to be building ;) is built a lot sturdier than the sneakbox is.<br /><br />And as for seating, I thought about a seat that goes all the way around the outside of the boat like a donut that you sit in the middle of. Storage underneath and a hinged fore-center section to allow access to the underside of the front deck.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by CalicoKid:<br /> You don't think a keelson or stringer would be needed? That Plyak CPJ is pretending to be building ;) is built a lot sturdier than the sneakbox is.<br /><br />
It would support the wide area of 1/4" plywood in the center on the bottom especially if they were also screwed up through the bottom to the transom and cross members. <br /><br />Let me ask you, would you rather be in a sneakbox or a camoflauged pansey yak? :D <br /><br /><br />I would think circular seating would make it hard to obtain decent balance without two likewise weight people on board. Unless you have center steering and remote controls on the front of your ahem donut seat. :D (got hemroids?) lol but It would be a differant look I guess.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Yes those are indeed some nice boats. This one's my favorite:<br /><br />
076749.jpg

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

oh noooooo I cant believe you did that.... I'd considered finding a garage sale table and trying that but the thought never lasted more than about 30 seconds... now you just put me in it.... that is freakin hilarious.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Lets not give dink any ideas.... :D <br /><br />Ok... went to get some things from the lumber yard and was takin a look at getting some wood. Had me list with me and then I sh!t canned the whole thing because one : was buying a sheet of foam for another project and couldn't get anyone around to help me. Waited for 45 minutes and 4 people to say they would get some help. If the 3 yr old daughter wasn't around I'd a climbed up there like a monkey and throw the sh!t down myself....<br /><br />and 2... I was stupid and didn't bring the whole thing (diagrams) just a list of things needed for the framing. Go figure, you can't find some of the sizes and since I had no clue were they went.. I gave up and re-looked the plans.<br /><br />I can't get 14' lengths of 1x4 so I'll have to get it that far and see what I can come up with. So it looks like I will have to get back to the yard....this time with the diagram in hand.<br /><br />errrrrr......

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

what was the final plan design you decided on dave?

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

the sport hydro
tn.SportsHydro.jpg
<br /><br />I need a 2x2x12 for the keelson (not an issue will just use 2x4x12 and notch out more.<br /><br />Plans say 3-1x6x14, for the chines, stringers, and lift rails. This I cannot find(the wood) and looking at the plans I can see 2 of them are used for the tunnel stringers. The more I look at this damn thing the more I'm tryin to figure out were things go... and havin a hard time puttin it together...getting the feeling somethings were left out of the materials list and I'll be "running" back to the lumberyard to get more stock.
boat

cpj

Ensign

Originally posted by CalicoKid:<br />[QB] You don't think a keelson or stringer would be needed? That Plyak CPJ is pretending to be building ;) <br /><br /><br />hey ck : mlm! :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

go for a ride with me on my road trip. it wont last long :D <br /> http://10.178.14.177/guest.htm <br /><br />it'll only last till i'm out of cell coverage :D .... i'm between pittsburgh and erie. :) if it doesnt work i'm out of coverage area for T-mobile

cpj

Ensign

wouldnt work there wimperdinky.gotta go shoot my bow any how.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

use netscape or IE cpj. doesnt work in my opera not sure about firefox but I know IE and netscape both work.<br /><br />keep it open for a few minutes... i'm on a low bandwidth connection. :)