To Bottom Paint or Not?

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just splashed a 7'6" dinghy. It will stay in the water most of the season. My bigger power boat is getting bottom painted right now so the question came up should I bottom paint my inflatable? I know they have specific paints for inflatable but does it degrade the PVC at all? What other options are available? Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: To Bottom Paint or Not?

I just splashed a 7'6" dinghy. It will stay in the water most of the season. My bigger power boat is getting bottom painted right now so the question came up should I bottom paint my inflatable? I know they have specific pains for inflatable but does it degrade the PVC at all? What other options are available? Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

I'm not so sure I would paint a PVC bottom. The paint should not hurt the PVC but it would probably hard to keep it on. Regular bottom paint would not adhere to plastic as well, and the flexing would probably cause it to come off. Now if the paint would stick and hold, and was ablative, this would make it easier to clean to scum off.

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

I should have also mentioned it has an airdeck. Not sure if that changes anything with regard to flexability & loss/chipping of paint.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Flip it once a month and clean bottom throughfully with a towel like pad to remove kelp growing underneath. Just inflate hard inflatable deck and keel to have a rigid bottom so to clean fast.

Happy Boating

Last edited: