To Bottom Paint or Not?

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm relatively new to boating. I've owned a 1987 Seville 17BR for the past 3 summers with a painted bottom. This year I noticed a few blisters at the water line where there is no paint.

I just picked up a new to me 1987 Sorrento S24 with no bottom paint. This boat has always been trailered. I plan on docking it next summer. I live in New Brunswick Canada and the boat will be in fresh water for 4 months. I'm not so concerned about the algae degrading performance as I am about osmosis and blistering of the hull. As I understand it the process to paint the bottom is to clean, sand with 80 grit paper, apply an epoxy barrier coat and then 2 coats of anti-fouling paint. Do I need the epoxy barrier and the paint to protect the hull from osomosis and blistering?

As for the staining of the bottom I understand there are products to remove the stains. Is this model year more prone to blistering than the later models?

Thank you!

$(KGrHqQOKjoE6WIlI-w,BOnueGE)G!~~60_3[1].jpg

That looks like a beautifully clean boat. I would wax the hull in the spring and give it a good power wash and possibly an acid wash in the fall when it is hauled out.

Only bottom paint if you have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk