titl trim control?

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know this is a dumb question but i have traced the wires for my TnT after all the help i got here but the one thing that gets me is the 3 bottum control i noticed that the up bottum will only work if you push the up/out button but you can push the bottum by its self and it works? is that right?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: titl trim control?

Up should move the motor up until the trim limit switch opens. Up and Out bypasses the trim limit switch to move the motor up for trailering. Down should work anytime to lower the motor.

Bondo

Staff member

I know this is a dumb question but i have traced the wires for my TnT after all the help i got here but the one thing that gets me is the 3 bottum control i noticed that the up bottum will only work if you push the up/out button but you can push the bottum by its self and it works? is that right?

Ayuh,..... Whatcha workin' on,..??

Sounds like there's a limit switch that ain't workin where it'd Stop at the Trim limit... usin' the middle button...

Pushin' both buttons is for the Trailer position, it over-rides the trim limit switch...

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

its on an 1980 arrow-glass for some reason when i push on the up button nothing happens i am not sure now to track down why the up button wont work when i redid the boat i replaced the trim pump i still have the trim pump that came with the boat and also replaced the trim limit and senders on the bell housing i also do have the original wiring harness for the trim pump that i put in the boat but used the one that was already in the boat i don`t know if i should replace the wiring harness or put the original pump back in. the pump i put in the boat was hooked to a power trim senderbut i did not add the power sender. should i put the old motor back in? but like i said the only time the up button works is if i push the up/out at the same time.

GA_Boater

Sounds like the limit switch is out of adjustment, mis-wired or broken. Or possibly the pump is mis-wired. The sender only goes to the trim position gauge and does not affect how the pump/trim switch works, it shouldn't be wired into the pump circuit.

Did everything work before the pump/limit switch/sender replacement?

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

that i am not sure of since when i got the boat the motor was pulled and most the wiring was undone i know when i put the switchs on the bell housing i just put them on and have not adjusted them as for the mis wired it might be i have the selco book and none of the pictures looks like mine i have thought about adding a second solenoid to make it a double not just a single to match the ones in my book.

GA_Boater

Ayuh,..... Whatcha workin' on,..??

I have to echo Bond-o's request from earlier. What Merc is she and the serial number? With that info we might be able to find the right wiring diagram.

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the motor is the gm inline 6 165hp the stern is from what i have found is type 1 atleast that is what the seloc book says the motor and stern is from a 1974 boat put onto a 1980 arrow glass tri hull and as for the serial number are you wanting the one off the engine or the pump motor? if the pump motor i beleave that there both the same 12.jpg78+arrow+glass+047.jpg
only two pictures i have sofar untile it gets alittle more above 35% here.

Don S

its on an 1980 arrow-glass .

That doesn't really tell anybody anything about what your trim and tilt is on. You have posted in the Mercury outboard forum, so we have to assume you have an outboard motor, so what size OB and year is it?
Or do you have an IO with a sterndrive? If that is the case, you are in the wrong forum and we need to move it.

Type of boat really doesn't mean much with motor problems.

Don S

I was typing while you were posting, moving to the Mercruiser IO forum.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

OK, if the up works when you push both up buttons and the down works when you push the down button then everything is wired properly and the pump is working correctly. The problem is most likely that the trim limit switch circuit is open. I am not exactly sure on a 1980, but look in the stern and you will see two black wires coming through the transom into two connectors, one with a purple white wire and one with 2 blue white wires. Unplug the two black wires and jumper between the two connectors with a short piece of wire. Run the outdive all the way down, then try the "out" button. If it works your trim limit switch is bad.

GA_Boater

Here I was trying to help with a Merc O/B TnT problem. :facepalm: Wish I would have caught this.
also replaced the trim limit and senders on the bell housing

Still- it's the limit switch, wiring or both.

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well i have done some reading and do beleave that i need to adjust the switch and i was reading where you turn it to port? to where from the cylender is 6 1/2 inch from center of the bolt to the cap but is there a mark on the switch that has to be lined up?

Don S

i was reading where you turn it to port? to where from the cylender is 6 1/2 inch from center of the bolt to the cap

Not sure where you read that, sounds more like the drive full down.

Here are the installation and adjustment procedures for the trim limit and gauge sender. CLICK HERE

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it was in the seloc book saying with the drive full down and turn it to port till the cylinder reaches 6 1/2" from the center of the bolt to the main part of the shaft. but someone told me not to use the seloc book since my stern is a type 1 but reading what you sent me Don does make more sence and i am guessing i would have ot have some one pushing the button now on hwat you sent me it says the up/out button i thought that was for the trailering im trying to get the up button to work since it wont work unless you push the up button and the up/out button at same time.

Don S

DO NOT use a Seloc or Clymers manual, they are aftermarket and miss a lot of information, and many times what they give is wrong.

The link I gave you above for the instructions is also wrong for your drive. Here is for your 1980 MC-1 drive.

View attachment #4 Drives 120-260 78-82 101.pdf

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok and thank you Don. yes the two top buttons work when both are pushed the 1st button the up will not work by its self

Don S

ok and thank you Don. yes the two top buttons work when both are pushed the 1st button the up will not work by its self

EDIT: I'm Backwards again, here is how it works, really.

The center button is for trim up only and goes through the trim limit switch, not the top button like I previously posted, the center and top button at the same time is for trailering.

Nothing will happen when you push the top button only.

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

well i have done some reading and do beleave that i need to adjust the switch and i was reading where you turn it to port? to where from the cylender is 6 1/2 inch from center of the bolt to the cap but is there a mark on the switch that has to be lined up?

You are way ahead of yourself. The first thing you need to do is determine whether or not the switch is working before you try to adjust it. The chance that you have a defective switch circuit (either the switch or the wires) is WAY greater than the switch merely being out of adjustment. So so not fool around with the switch until you follow the steps I gave you previously.