Tire size

lncoop

Vice Admiral
My current trailer tires are Towmaster F6514ST. One of them has reached a point where I think it's probably okay for a spare, but isn't quite 100% for regular towing. I don't have a spare, so my plan was to just buy a new wheel and tire to put on the ground, but I've hit a snag. Every time I give someone the numbers from the tire I get the phone equivalent of a blank stare because no one has ever heard of these numbers. I'm beginning to think they are a match for the more standard ST20575R14 bias ply tire. Can anyone confirm or refute? I suspect lots of people I've talked to have the wheel and tire and just don't realize it. Help.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Re: Tire size

My current trailer tires are Towmaster F6514ST. One of them has reached a point where I think it's probably okay for a spare, but isn't quite 100% for regular towing. I don't have a spare, so my plan was to just buy a new wheel and tire to put on the ground, but I've hit a snag. Every time I give someone the numbers from the tire I get the phone equivalent of a blank stare because no one has ever heard of these numbers. I'm beginning to think they are a match for the more standard ST20575R14 bias ply tire. Can anyone confirm or refute? I suspect lots of people I've talked to have the wheel and tire and just don't realize it. Help.

No, not really a match. F65-14 would be closer to 215 or 22065R14...your current tire is squatter and wider than the 20575R14

Your current tire is not a radial, the one you also list IS...it has the new size designation format.
Don't know what your trailer is, but that is a reasonable sized tire...not a 4.80x8 :D

My advice would be not to mix tires on a trailer, size or type....i.e. all radial or no radial, and identical size. Two new tires with rims are under $200-
Cheap insurance for whatever is on your trailer. ;)

Here is a good source of more info.
Also, does the iboats store sell tires?

http://www.trailertires.com/

Last edited:

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Okay, I contacted the manufacturer, Green Ball. The equivalent to those numbers is 205 65 D14, which is available in a bias ply trailer tire (ST). A few places have it on line, but I can't get it here. Everyone in town has 205 75 14 in a trailer tire, but not the 65. I'm not comfy having tires I can't get replaced here, so I think I'll just get two new tires mounted on the wheels for the same cost as a third wheel and tire.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

can you just get the 205 75 14 tires? will they fit okay? Thats about the most common size for average trailers nowadays and maybe cheaper than the 65s are. heck, i sold my spare once last year at the launch ramp to help a family out, it was a 205 75 14. they are almost universal so you could probably get them anywhere near you, or out on the road somewhere.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

can you just get the 205 75 14 tires? will they fit okay? Thats about the most common size for average trailers nowadays and maybe cheaper than the 65s are. heck, i sold my spare once last year at the launch ramp to help a family out, it was a 205 75 14. they are almost universal so you could probably get them anywhere near you, or out on the road somewhere.

Negative. My tire shop says they're almost four inches taller if you can believe that! He has his wholesaler calling around to try and get a set of the 65s. It's looking like no one other than Towmaster makes that size. Leave it to Tracker:mad: I guess if he can't find me any today I'll just have to take my chances with the ones that are on there. They have plenty of tread and look great except for a little dry cracking on the driver side tire. Assuming he can't find any I'll just have to order some I suppose. This is ridiculous!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I did Tim. Thanks for the input. Like everyone else in the sane world they have lots of 75s but no 65s. I've determined that the 65 is exclusive to Towmaster. In any case, I was hoping to have this taken care of by tomorrow, so on line ordering wouldn't help any way. I can get the 65s on line, but I suspect what I'll end up doing is getting a "just in case" spare on a 13" wheel and taking it easy with what I have this weekend. Then next week I'll probably just do whatever I have to to go to a more readily available tire size, whether it means changing the wheels, modifying the trailer, etc. I can find the 205 75 bias ply tires anywhere, so that's probably what I'll end up getting. I had no idea this would be such an ordeal or I would have started the process much sooner.:eek:

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Negative. My tire shop says they're almost four inches taller if you can believe that! He has his wholesaler calling around to try and get a set of the 65s. It's looking like no one other than Towmaster makes that size. Leave it to Tracker:mad: I guess if he can't find me any today I'll just have to take my chances with the ones that are on there. They have plenty of tread and look great except for a little dry cracking on the driver side tire. Assuming he can't find any I'll just have to order some I suppose. This is ridiculous!

so you would only need 2" of extra clearance? I guess that might not work, my tires are pretty well tucked in my wheelwells also.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

At this point it's looking like I'll just roll with the existing tires and carry a spare on a 13" wheel. I'll feel much better about it if I know I can at least limp home if it comes to that. I think the tires will be fine. I just get a little more nervous/careful when the girls are with me in the truck. Next week I'll be looking at alternatives to the existing hardware. Don't want to go through this again in a few years. I sure will be enjoying that Samuel Adams this time tomorrow!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I don't know where tracker gets these odd tire sizes to rig their trailers.
Somewhere cheap, and likely out of business by now.

Contact a Tracker dealer for replacement info, or just upgrade to conventional tire sizes.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

Negative. My tire shop says they're almost four inches taller if you can believe that!

That is difficult to believe. The sidewall height of a 205/75 is 205 mm * 75% = 154 mm. A 205/65 is 133 mm. There are two sidewalls in the overall diameter, giving you a difference of (154-133)*2 = 42 mm, or 1.65 inches.

You might want to go measure your tires yourself and get two new tires of appropriate diameter. The closest standard size options are 205/75-14 and 175/80-13, with 185/80-13 also being reasonably common. The 14s are 26.1 inches overall diameter, the 175/80-13 are 24 inches and the 185/80-13 are 24.7 inches. If you go for the 13s, make sure the load rating is sufficient (175/80-13 LR C is 1360 lb, 185/80-13 LR C is 1480 lb).

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have never seen a 65 trailer tire. That is a pretty low profile tire for a trailer. Not sure why you would want a low profile tire on a trailer because you have less sidewall to absorb shock.

Edit:
http://www.greenball.com/products.asp?category=34

2.3" overall diameter bigger which means half of that from axle to the top of the tire.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I have never seen a 65 trailer tire. That is a pretty low profile tire for a trailer. Not sure why you would want a low profile tire on a trailer because you have less sidewall to absorb shock.

Edit:
http://www.greenball.com/products.asp?category=34

2.3" overall diameter bigger which means half of that from axle to the top of the tire.

Okay. Not sure how he came up with four inches taller. Looking at this leads me to believe the 205 75 14 would be just fine. Calling him now.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I spoke with my tire guy again. Apparently I misunderstood him regarding the height difference, but the 75s are still too tall. I think I'll be okay until I can get some 65s in. I did find a place to get them at a good price on line. FWIW the gentleman I ordered them from was very informative and explained that they use the short fat tires on the barge trailers to make sure they're in compliance with DOT height regs. My main concern was the future availability of the tires, but he said that won't be a problem. Let's hope those don't turn out to be famous last words given the way my luck runs some times.:(

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

In order for me get greater capacity tires for my trailer, I had to go up from 14 to 15 inch wheels. My tire height went up high enough that I had to move my fenders but really wasn't a big deal on my trailer. There is actually benefits for mew to go taller. I no longer scrape backing into my driveway.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I'm in good shape in terms of capacity, handling, etc. I'm just unhappy with how hard it is to find that tire. Tracker was ZERO help of course.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

How is your fender clearance. Will a taller tire cause problems?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yes, the fender height is the rub (pun intended). I haven't even checked whether they can be adjusted.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I raised mine an inch. Was pretty easy. Just had to drill some new holes.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hopefully it won't come to that, but if I have to I will. Ain't skeert to drill a hole or two.