Tire pressure question.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Tire pressure question.

Oh and NEVER just pump up a tire to what it says on the sidewall, that is the MAXIMUM pressure, not the recommended pressure. There should always be a tire inflation placard somewhere, the door jam, owners manual, some on the fuel door.

TRUE for cars & rucks....not true for trailer tires

True for every tire out there, what part isn't true for trailer tires?
Well, for one thing, I have been unable to locate the doorjamb or fuel door on my trailer.:facepalm:

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lol read my post again :) I used paragraphs for a reason lol

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lol jk

Attachments

• owned.jpg
    owned.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

plain and simple... trailer tires are designed to carry a specific weight at the pressure on the sidewall..... If that weight and pressure are too high for your load then you have too much tire and could step down.... Run trailer tires at MAX pressure all the time for all loads

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your boats takes alot more pounding and abuse on choppy water than on a trailer but if I was really concerned about it I would install shocks on the trailer rather than playing with tire pressure.

I'd say the pounding on the trailer is worse. Any shock to the boat on a trailer is concentrated where the rollers or bunks contact the hull and must typically be absorbed in about 2 inches of spring travel. Pounding on the water is spread out over the whole hull surface and can have more than 12 inches of travel.

bigdee

Commander

I'd say the pounding on the trailer is worse. Any shock to the boat on a trailer is concentrated where the rollers or bunks contact the hull and must typically be absorbed in about 2 inches of spring travel. Pounding on the water is spread out over the whole hull surface and can have more than 12 inches of travel.
Maybe so but in all my years I have not seen this to be an issue ( it is the stringers not the hull that is distibuting the weight). Even so, running tires under-inflated would not limited the bounce...only shocks can do that and they can be installed fairly easy. I still don't get it? Inflate to max and life will be good!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Just blew out some tires which were inflated to the recommended max of 50 pounds. I have in the past kept them at about 35 to 40 psi. I used them for a few years at this lower pressure without issue. After reading on this forum and checking the tires I decided to fill them to 50 pounds. I just put a new set of 4 Goodyear marathons on and am wondering should I keep the pressure to the max(50 pounds ) or go back to 35-40 pounds as I have in the past. I am hoping to tow the boat 1000 miles RT this summer and want to get it right. Loadmaster aluminum trailer,dual 3500 #eliminator torsion axles, 4 new Marathon tires rated at 1360 each, boat weighs about 3500#'s with motor and gear.

Where are you planning on going? Are you looking at Mead or Powell? If so then here is what I do, and get ready your going to buy some tires so just get used to it, I have gone to Powell from Denver 3 times now love the lake, but its a trip that eats tires last time I had three blowouts on the trip, so now I carry 3 spares, I check pressure and my buddie bearings on each fuel stop/bathroom break, I keep tire pressures 5lbs below the maximum. I have found that on long trips like this (about 500 miles across the desert in the heat of the summer) that if you can travel at night you will ease the wear and tear on the tires, ran it once in the heat of the day and had 3 blowouts, when done at night not one, I can't say that tire pressures had much to do with it, I think the problem is simply too much heat built up in the rubber, I have several friends that go to powell from grand junction roughly half the distance I travel and they are the ones that told me to either have three spares or travel at night, so now I do both.

I suppose it should be stated that I haul butt, posted limits of course, I see no reason to take it easy on long trips get there and relax is my way, I don't want to be on the road I want to be on the lake.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

:rolleyes:Seems to me Lipp, unless you change tires as fast as a Nascar pit crew, the time it takes to change 3 tires is about equal to slowing down to 65-70. And slowing down seems a hell of a lot cheaper at $100 each for radial trailer tires...Just sayin..:facepalm:

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

:rolleyes:Seems to me Lipp, unless you change tires as fast as a Nascar pit crew, the time it takes to change 3 tires is about equal to slowing down to 65-70. And slowing down seems a hell of a lot cheaper at $100 each for radial trailer tires...Just sayin..:facepalm:

Have you been talking to my wife? how did you know that when I stop to change a flat tire the wife gets her watch out and times me??

Sad part is I'm not making this up either!!:D:D

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey LippCJ7, what size tires on your trailer?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

ST215/75R14, i had to go out in the snow to find out for sure, I forgot to enter that info into my smart phone....

I can change a tire in less then 5 minutes on the truck/trailer from the time I open the drivers door till I close it and were on the road, no electric or air tools either!! just a small floor jack and a four way!! I will have to find out what my record is so far though Wife has it....

jadats

Recruit

EDIT: Sorry Peter. You must have overlooked Rule 6.

Thanks for you cooperation. :)

6. You may not post in the forum to promote any personal enterprise, advertise a business or product you are personally affiliated with, or to solicit responses for contests, polls or similar. The First post of a thread MAY NOT be used to advertise or promote a product, company, internet site, sale, individual, or service. If you wish to promote your product or internet site, please contact iboats for rates/permission. Please remember that iboats is a retail vendor of marine products and do not post anything that would be detrimental to iboats' interests.

Greatings from Holland
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ST215/75R14, i had to go out in the snow to find out for sure, I forgot to enter that info into my smart phone....

I can change a tire in less then 5 minutes on the truck/trailer from the time I open the drivers door till I close it and were on the road, no electric or air tools either!! just a small floor jack and a four way!! I will have to find out what my record is so far though Wife has it....

Was hoping you had 16" they make 235/85r16 in a 14 ply, not much you can do with the 215/75r14 they only come in 4 and 6 ply so unless you can and want to go up to 225/75R15 's in a 8 ply. sorry was hoping to have a golden answer for you

one thing you can do is look into the Green tire slimes as they will seal up punctures you get after it is put in. I have used this and know many people that have used it. I used it one night I had a big 3/8 screw in my truck tire, put that in sealed right up, a week later I ripped the tire apart and washed all the gunk out put it back together and still no leak

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Oh no bud were not talking punctures, were talking about complete tread separation!! When I blow a tire I blow it right!! Thats why i said what I did to the OP I think the problem is heat generated within the tire causing the tread to separate from the core or the bond with the belting The irony is that the tires would actually still hold air! just that the tire had no tread left unless your ok running on the belts!! I'm a pretty focused driver when my tires go away like these did I knew it right before they went and in all cases was scrubbing speed off and getting my game face ready for the Lipp NASCAR Pit crew Challenge!! after the third one it was just funny. My wife has a different way of thinking, she likes to travel during the day whereas I prefer at night, she likes the sites I like the peace and quiet of a truck sleeping(I have a wife and three daughters, think of that for an 8 hour trip), after the three blowout trip she knows were driving at night, no exceptions

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well that isn't good at all. when the semi tires go like that we warranty them, I would be switching tire brands if that happened to me more than once. I haven't seen that happen to many passenger trailer tires at all

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Newer trailer with torsion axles just don't ride like the old tandem axle leaf suspension trailers.

My torsions surely do not ride the same - they're a whole lot better! And before anyone preaches the 'gospel' from Goodyear, remember, they're the ones who say they don 't have a problem with their chop-suey tires. The trailering public might seem to differ... :facepalm:

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Well I don't normally get into the tire arguement, to me its a just one of those things, DW knows I do Pit on a Super Late Model and I prefer Hoosier tires there, I have BFG AT KO's on both my 1 ton trucks and the GY marathons on the boat trailer, the only time I get involved is that I believe in a national chain tire store so that they can replace the tires that blowed up, Discount and Big O hate me but they cannot say that tread separation isn't part of the warranty, good luck!!

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I was at the tire shop I would warranty a tire that seperated like that in a second. but we didn't have to send in tires to get warranty it was 100% up to us then just toss the warrantied tire in the scrap. The brand of tire isn't as important as the guys that are putting them on, the best tire in the world is worthless if it's not put on right or if the guy behind the counter is an @$$ and won't help you when you need it. I don't have any experience with GY tires as we didn't sell them, but I will tell you that you will be much happier getting rid of those BFG's they are heavy and the BFG AT is the only tire I have ever seen seperate before it made it onto a truck. Try a Yokohama better traction in the dirt/mud and take abuse better.