Tips on removing 90hp motor from boat?

hipster

Cadet
Hi, we will be removing motor to see if everything mounts/bolts up to 79 searay bowrider boat. Motor is a 1978 6cyl big as hell & probably weighs a ton! lol
Also, motor been settin for 5 yrs, what to spray in cylinders to remove any varnish(shes turning over hard).

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Yes, it is heavy somewhere around 350#

DO NOT try lifting this with a couple of big friends.
Very awkward.
Fingers will be lost and backs damaged !

Buy one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Mar...NG-/271275747151?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Its crews into the top of the flywheel so you can use a hoist.

If you don't have a hoist, borrow or rent one from someone, or from an auto parts store.
Or buy one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-69512.html

You can spray some 2 stroke oil in cylinders, or marvel mystery oil, or some Seafoam spray is probably the best choice.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Inline six motors weigh about 300#. Very lightweight for the HP provided.

You can stand it on the skeg (with a friends help) and remove it that way. Two of you should be able to drag it away. Alternatively, remove the gearcase, and then two of you can grab the powerhead and midsection and carry it easily.

If it is a V6 motor, it is significantly heavier, and has less handles to grab. The lifting eye and a cable winch are a real good idea.

hipster

Cadet
I need to remove engine, brackets/mount & cables etc to put on another boat but not sure how to proceed? I have the main electrical & fuel line disconnected. Do you remove motor seperate from mount & turning/tilt mechanism or are they removed as a whole big setup...without a lift/picker! IMG_0747.JPG

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Disconnect the 4 hydraulic lines for the TnT, the steering cable and the two throttle/shift cables.

Then remove the two lower bolts through the transom mount and either the two upper transom mount bolts or undo the the two clamps if you have them.

I built an A-frame with the lift tool attached to a cable after dropping the tongue down as far it would go. Snug up the cable and raise the tongue and the motor lifts right off the transom. I did put some wood blocks under the skeg after dropping the tongue so it didn't take much when raising the tongue.

Everything painted black lifts off as one unit after having a couple bowls of Wheaties with spinach chasers.

hipster

Cadet
ok great, Thanks! :) ps. wont I lose hyd fluid/need to fill & bleed? and do people remove engines every fall for winter storage or just leave them on boat?

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Motors generally stay on the boat until either the boat or the motor need to be replaced.

Remember, that motor weighs as much as a 24 cu ft side by side refrigerator, and is very top heavy. Good luck.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
ok great, Thanks! :) ps. wont I lose hyd fluid/need to fill & bleed? and do people remove engines every fall for winter storage or just leave them on boat?

So you lose juice. There is no way to avoid it and it's a one time thing until the motor or TnT pump is replaced.

Motors stay on boats.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee. I put a 1/2" lag bolt in the garage door header. I am able to lift the motor just enough to pull the boat away.