Tips on cutting up a deer

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Tips on cutting up a deer

Thanks for the info!

I can't hang anything in a woodshed though... for two reasons.
1 - I don't have a woodshed!
2 - temps here during deer season are routinely in the 70 - 80 degree range, 50s overnight

Hanging a carcass in the backyard has the same issue... high temperatures. I guess the only "real" solution would be a cold walk-in cooler with lots of air circulation. Don't have one of those either! LOL

Did you see j martin's suggestion to buy a cheap used refrigerator, quarter the deer, and keep it in there? He also suggested a chest-style freezer set at 35 for keeping the quartered deer until you can get it cut up. You might not be able to age it outside like us northerners can, but hey, you get to boat year-round. Life's a tradeoff. ;)

j_martin

Admiral

He's a monster! I can see 7 deer around that size beating up on a truck. :D

There's a monster line growing in this neck of the woods. There's usually a dozen or so over 220 lbs in the local paper each year.

The same morning I shot that one, I shot a small one......180 lbs, 8 point several hours earlier.

Several years later I got a setup where a 180 lb. 8 point was being pushed past my stand by a much larger animal. I got the smaller one. I Had a set, can't miss shot on the larger one and missed. Turned out someone had dropped my gun and knocked the scope off. Actually missed the shot on the small one by a couple of feet. Happened to hit it in the arse hard enough to down it.

If I ever see another setup like that, I'll not take it. I'll just have a heart attack.

I don't own that patch of land any more. The current owner took a 230 lb buck off it this year, I think with a bow.

John

j_martin

Admiral

Did you see j martin's suggestion to buy a cheap used refrigerator, quarter the deer, and keep it in there? He also suggested a chest-style freezer set at 35 for keeping the quartered deer until you can get it cut up. You might not be able to age it outside like us northerners can, but hey, you get to boat year-round. Life's a tradeoff. ;)

I'm toying with the idea of putting up a 6 x 6 x 9 ft. highly insulated shed with a cooler and a small heater in it, just for hanging venison. I haven't run the numbers on it yet to see if it's practical. Meanwhile, the remote bulb thermostat on the old chest freezer saves my bacon for warm weather deer.

John

aspeck

Staff member

In warmer climates I have been told that if you can't age the deer, then get them flash frozen ASAP. If you can get them from running to frozen in just a few hours, you are good to go also. I have never had to worry about that, so I cannot say for certain, it is just hearsay.

Nice buck, John. I am jealous! Around here a big deer will go about 150 - 160 field dressed.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

The average deer size around here is about 70 pounds, so a small fridge might work. No place to put it right now though.

I do have a small chest style freezer, but am not sure if it has temperature control to go above freezing. That thing was costing me $30 - $35 a month for electricity, so I turned it off after I used up my (domestic) hog!

j_martin

Admiral

The average deer size around here is about 70 pounds, so a small fridge might work. No place to put it right now though.

I do have a small chest style freezer, but am not sure if it has temperature control to go above freezing. That thing was costing me $30 - $35 a month for electricity, so I turned it off after I used up my (domestic) hog!

No, the temp control on a chest freezer won't go above freezing. You get a remote bulb temp control (hvac control) and rig it into the power supply for the freezer and have it turn the box on and off. The bulb is put inside the freezer of course.

John

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BBQed up some venison steaks Saturday. They were delicious, and way more tender than I expected. I've had a lot of cuts of beef that were tougher. With some garlic mashed potatoes on the side, it was an excellent meal.

Also made some deer jerky:
Photo0174.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Mmmmmm.... dead Bambi... agggghhhhh...