"Tinned primary wire" versus automotive grade

bostonwhalermontauk1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi
Any idea of how long the tinned wire lasts over the use of reg multi strand primary wire for wiring up lights and radios? I have to run power up to center console and I have to hide a power wire unfortunately under my rub rail for the bow light. I have no other way of powering that light without it looking like crap, and from the looks of pricing on "tinned" marine wire - I will have to take out a 2nd mortgage LOL:D - So I just wanted to know what the life expectancy is the marine grade over the regular automotive grade which is as usual once you attach the "marine grade" name to something - you can triple the price. Thank you in advance for any input on this - Oh also - I believe my engine side factory Johnson harness was untinned - and the new one I bought that was aftermarket was tinned - I have a feeling - tinned stuff lasts a lot longer - am I right? Thank You again - Paul

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Re: "Tinned primary wire" versus automotive grade

It's not so much if it lasts longer as much as how well it conducts current.
Tinned wire is more resistant to corrosion within the insulation. For saltwater exposure it's a must.
This is just my opinion, but if you boat in fresh water 100% of the time then non-tinned wire would be OK.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 1966 Lone Star (by Chrysler) was done with automotive wire. I did a bunch of re-wiring this fall and didn't see any deterioration after 44 years in fresh water.

bostonwhalermontauk1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with conductivity of being same - in fact - the copper conducts better than tinning it - but Im sure tinning it makes it last longer. Thank you all

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I only used marine wire on my boat.

BWM1965,

The main thing is to use AWG wire sizes and not SAE. Marine wire is AWG wire sizes. Some automotive wire is SAE. SAE wire sizes are 6%-12% smaller, carry proportionally less current, and have greater resistance. Just make sure you use the proper gauge AWG wire.

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're using the wire for a place where it's going to be splashed a ton (even though it's behind a rub rail) I'd spring for the marine grade tinned. Granted, I've had lots of luck with standard copper wire in my fresh water boat, but that's all been inside the boat- if it's for anything running out in the elements I would use tinned.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

In my experience the biggest advantage to Tinned wire is that it takes solder faster then regular copper, it is also easier to clean corrosion off of tinned wire to take solder both of these are factors in getting a good hot solder joint. Sometimes corroded copper can really be a bear to get a good hot solder joint.

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tinned wire will last longer if saltwater gets under the outer insulation.
Untinned wire will turn to a green powder and lose it's conductivity if exposed to SW.
Which ever wire, be sure to seal all your connections and the ends of the insulation where you stripped it off with liquid tape

That's what I would do

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

After just two seasons in salt water, any non-tinned copper wire on my boat is heavily corroded at the ends, especially all the crimps. The tinned marine grade, fared 100% better, showing hardly any corrosion at all.

bostonwhalermontauk1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank You everyone - To follow up with this - I just got off the phone with Mike at genuinedealz.com - You would not believe the killer prices they have and even sell you cable custom cut depending on gauge of wire and will fabricate up the ends to your specs and lengths. He can figure gauge correctness according to load for you as well - I was thrilled because I got everything I need right down to a beautiful fuse block with a cover, switches, tinned cables including battery cables (tinned) with custom ends pre crimped - all for less than what I would pay for automotive grade and with free shipping. I almost fell out of my chair - And now I do not have to worry anymore about my wire because I plan to use boat in both fresh and salt water. Incidentaly - Do you know that the factory engine side wiring harness on my 1982 Johnson 50 was not tinned primary wire originally? The aftermarket one I installed was however. Amazing - and I really love this website because you learn so much here and get such awesome feedback. Everyone is really helpful. This has been a fun restoration project (check pics on my other posts) and I have learned soooo much by just putting off my fears of tearing it down 100% and just going for it. I for years was nervous about doing my lower end impeller because I thought I would break bolts off the lower end - But I did it myself and it was a piece of cake. :D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

genuinedealz is who I buy all my wire from too.

Av8nBill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You beat me to it - I've gotten a bunch of tinned wire from GenuineDealz and been real happy with the price and the service. You can also search "tinned marine wire" on Amazon and sometimes get great deals on overruns and such - it won't always be the color/size you're looking for, but if you keep looking periodically it will likely turn up.

edmontongerry

Recruit

i was told by marine tech. that tinned wire has a different outer covering that in the case of a fire or short this covering will burn like auto wire, it smoulders less of a hazard and to be considered for insurance purposes.my understanding,so i pass it on.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

BTW, I compared Genuinedealz to another popular marine wire supplier, gregsmarinewiresupply.com. Gregs is cheaper. For example, 4 AWG marine battery cable is $1.55/ft at Genuine, vs $1.36/ft at Gregs. Primary 14 AWG 25 ft is $9.06 at Genuine, 50 ft is $8.50 at gregs. Check out a few other wire types, Gregs is less, and his shipping is cheap.

Not associated with Gregs wire, just a real penny pincher, and every time I compare prices, gregs is always cheaper. When I find someone cheaper than Gregs, I'll use them. BTW, both of these retailers are selling Ancor wire.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Except it looks like it gets made up in the shipping. 100 feet of 14 gauge wire is $17 at Greg's and $20.71 at Genuine. Greg's wants $6.95 for shipping and Genuine is free. Maybe if you buy enough it works out better the other way. Definitely worth checking out though. for the 4 AWG battery cable, it looks like Greg's is better once you get over 50 feet.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Oh, I didn't catch that Genuine was free shipping. It all depends on what you buy then. The 50' rolls at Gregs will more than make up for shipping, as Genuine charges nearly twice the price. But the big battery cables are a different story.

So, if you are shopping for wire, you have another retailer to include in your comparison.

I can say that when I called Greg on the phone, he was very accommodating and added some last minute low buck items for free in my last order (about $60 order).

Bottom line is the wire market varies a lot depending on when the retailer buys the wire which is priced at the market value for copper when bought in bulk. So shop, shop, shop. I added Genuine to my favorites for wire supply.