Timing on AQ125B

DMH

Recruit
I just found this forum a few days ago and have already learned a lot. I also just did a search for my little question and could not find an answer.

I have a 1985 1950 Bayliner Capri with the AQ125B engine. Yesterday, I was checking the timing, etc. to get it ready. On the valve cover, it says to set the timing to 32* BTDC at 4200 RPM's. So, I did that. Engine was all warmed up and ready to go. When I dropped the RPM's back to the 900 - 1000 RPM range, I checked the timing again and it was at 2* DTDC. That didn't seem right to me, so I checked the manual I have for it, and it says to set the timing at 10* BTDC. I guess my question is, which one is correct?

Also, on a side note, my best friend was over when I first tried to start it (first time this year) and he said that the accelerator pump did not seem to be working right. When I push the go-lever down, there is a shaft (hooked to the accelerator pump) that goes out, and the only way we could see that it works, is that there is a spring that is supposed to push the accelerator pump lever? We could not find a detailed enough picture in the manual. It just seemed backwards to my friend. I have never really had any kind of problem with acceleration, but it does kinda raise a question.

Any help with either of these would be greatly appreciated, and I really enjoy looking through the new forum I found.

DMH