Timing issues with my 55hp mariner

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,
I've recently been given a 1978 55 hp mariner. I was running it and it almost sounds like a hit and miss engine! When I ran it I could hear the cylinders firing when they wern't ment to so I thought that it must be the timing out of adjustment. So could anyone tell me how to adjust the timing on this motor?

M

Maxz695

Re: Timing issues with my 55hp mariner

I would be checking to see if the flywheel is properly aligned. The key way may have sheered and the flywheel might be a tad off. You can check to see if this is a problem by removing the #1 spark plug. Take a pencil and insert the eraser into the cylinder and turn the engine by hand until you feel the piston at the highest point. Top Dead Center. Now look at the pointer and timing marks on the side of the flywheel. The pointer should be on 0. Not before it not after it but dead on 0. If this looks ok. then go on to timing it. Make sure no one swapped plug wires trigger wire or coil wires. A manual can be a great help to you.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Is yours a 2 or 3 cylinder model? If a 2 cylinder they idle like crap anyway..

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its a 2 cyinder but even when i throttle it up it still does the same thing. But I'll give Maxz695 advice a try.
If it isnt at .0 then will I need to get a new flyweel key or will I need to make some sort of adjustment?
heres what my motor looks likemariner55.jpg

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay,
I checked the timing with tthe pointer and it was 5 degrees out on the right side of the zero. Dose this mean the flweel key has snapped?
Also would this be the reason the engine is running so rough?
I forgot to mention at the start of this thread that the starter and the starter solenoid was removed the motor end wires are still there. Could this also affect the running of the motor because theres a grounnd wire not connected.
What size is the flyweel nut, also is it metric or imperial.

Is there any chance that the carbys need tuning, could this get the motor running better.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

These engines run with a lope at idle due to being a looper engine and all bolts/nuts are metric. This model should have a single coil and both cylinders fire at the same time.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this one has a powerpack and two grey coils at the front, it has a black box under the powerpack and under the flyweel there are some other coil looking things but I know it has two coils.
Outboard60.jpglooks exactaly like this one except mines a 55

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi all,
i just tryed tuning up the outboard the other day. I ust forgot the bacic but I just screwed in the fuel mix all the way untill the motor was just about to cut out then unscrewed it till it ran at its best/smoothest and did the same n the other carby. It runs a bit beter but still runs like crap. Can anyone help me out?

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi all,
i just tryed tuning up the outboard the other day. I ust forgot the bacic but I just screwed in the fuel mix all the way untill the motor was just about to cut out then unscrewed it till it ran at its best/smoothest and did the same n the other carby. It runs a bit beter but still runs like crap. Can anyone help me out?