Timing belt replacement on Honda 90?

vikingham

Cadet
My mechanic suggested replacing the timing belt on our Honda 90; it's a '98 with about 550 hours on it. It's not mentioned in our owner's manual, except to say that it should be inspected every year. The mech said 500 hours is the recommended interval.<br /><br />Seems reasonable to me, but I thought I'd check to see if any f the wise folks here had comments. Thanks in advance!

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Timing belt replacement on Honda 90?

The timing belt on my 1997 75 HP has 1700 HRS on it and is still in good shape.<br />Nick

vikingham

Cadet

Hey, thanks for the input Nick!<br /><br />As it turns out, mine seems to be in good shape, too - when they were doing the winterization they inspected it and said it was fine. So, we'll try it for another year.<br /><br />By the way - congrats on getting 1700 hours out on the water in that period of time! Something I aspire to.

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I try to get out on the big pond at least two to three time a month, here in San Diego. I also travel to Baja two to three times a year. San Quintin is only a five hour drive from my place.

Chaps

Seaman

Over 1000 hours on my '98 BF90. Same belt. Heck, I haven't even changed the water pump impeller.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

Same as Chaps, only 500 + hours. Anyone kow if this is an interferance engine?

drstressor

Recruit

The Civic is an interference engine, so the '90 Honda should be also.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

I dont think all Civic engines are/were. Regardless, stroke and/or valve length/travel could have easily been modified for the outboard. The Civic was neither 90 or 75 hp, but the outboard is.