Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

Looking good Bob, for drainage I wouldn't worry about it unless your looking to 'build-up' an ultra smooth surface over the glass. But from what I can see you did an awesome job laying it. Now if you want to brighten the area for observing purposes..I could see painting...glad to see you getting some time to get after 'er!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey HSf,
My thought process was just that. I was wanting to create a surface that would want to shed the water.
All the little pits in glass take longer to dry out. Not sure it really matters that much. Just a thought.
Thanks for your impute.
Bob

sprintst

Commander

Then again you could coat it in Bilge coat or some other form of madness. Nothing succeeds like excess :)

Your glass work looks awesome so probably no need... I'm crazy so I'd always be thinking "what if it is holding water down there"

My guess is you're going to be one of those "I actually cover my boats" kind of guys after all that hard work :) I can't believe how many guys don't. None probably in this forum though.

I was just going over some of your pics again. She's come a long was hasn't she.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey sprintst,
I actually thought of the bilge coat too. I guess I am one of those madness type guys.
I use to always keep my boat in the boat motel, that was just me too. I love the water, just not in the boat. :D
Thanks for your input.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Bob I'm still working on the Iboats fold up shop so you can take your boat with you.....just unfold it when you get to your hotel and work away!

In the restoration of my Checkmate I applied 2 coats of gelcoat prior to installing the new floor. Also covered the bottom side of the floor with a layer of 1.5 oz CSM before installing the floor.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
I might make up some time if we could find a way to take it with me. :p:D

Hey subtleaccents,
Thanks for the input, I will decide over the next couple of weeks before I get back home.
Thanks Again All.
Bob

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Bob- Here you go. Weather problem solved!!!
000_0002.jpg
[/IMG]

It's on sale in the Sportsmans Guide. sportsmansguide.com

That's a pretty darn good price for 200 square feet of work space!

mrlassi1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Bob,

Your project is looking good. Just curious. I visited your photobucket link. What is the (compresser like?) contraption on your woodworking album. I didn't see a description.

On your stringer work, for what purpose is the jig/form using the slices if PVC pipe? Does it press the mat into the resin while it cures. If you described it in the this tread I may have overlooked it.

Thanks for the transom clamp idea. I'm rebuilding my 19' AMF Crestliner's transom now. It is curved and I was wondering how to ensure I get good contact between the glass of the hull and the plywood when I begin the lamimating process. Did you use poly resin or epoxy?

One last question. Is there a relationship between the number of posts you have made on iboats with your rank? If so, is that relationship posted somewhere on the forum?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Mick,
Thanks for the info, I'll have to check it out.

mrlassi1,
If you are talking about this.
IMG00176.jpg

It is a vacuum system for laminating.
The jig was in case the glass didn't want to lay down on top of the stringers. If you cover the wood with box tape the poly resin won't stick to it when it drys.
I never used it, by rounding the top of the stringers with my router the glass layed down perfect.
I used poly resin.
Yes, The more post you have the higher your rank. I have a lot of free time at night after work so I'm on here a lot. I have never seen it posted anywhere as to what = what.
Wow. I think answered all the questions, if you need any additional info, just ask.
Good luck on your project.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

Holy crap Bob!! That is a cool little vac pump!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey friscoboater,
Thanks for the compliments. It really works great too.
Thanks again
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice set up bob, wish I had one of those!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
I can get you the plans and parts list. Not hard to build at all. Just let me know.
Bob

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

pretty cool little pump, looks as though your project is coming along nicely, need to get back on mine, little tough to get motivated when its this cold outside and thats where i'm grinding. tink

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Thanks tinkeringwackyone,
I appreciate your input.
Thanks
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Bob, I hope you are getting some good weather to work on the boat! Its actually "nice" here for a change.

mrlassi1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So Bob, have you used your vacuum pump so far on your restoration? Your stringer work looks great. Did it have a role? Thanks for the tip on routing the edges of the stringers so the glass will lay down. Did you bed them into the hull too?

I'm currently in the process of cutting and fitting my stringers and transom components for my AMF project. It's sad to see how sloppy the factory lay ups were on this boat. Of course no one could have afforded to buy a boat if they had as much labor time in them as we are investing! I think of these projects as a form of recreation. My wife calls it my "piddling" The forum thread "why we do what we do" sized it up well.

As to your question about painting under the floor and bildge. On a Kenner Ski barge restoration I did back in 1986 I replaced the transom and rebuilt the flooring about 18" back from the transom. I painted it all (topside only) with a light grey poly when it was done (I'm a loyal Petit easypoxy user). I plan to do the same on my AMF project.

mrlassi1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bob, reading back thru your thread I may have found the answer to my stringer bedding question. The PL adhesive you used. Did you ahere the transom wood to the hull using PL also? If so, did you apply it with a notched trial (like used for tile work) or just apply a series of beads?

I did one transom rebuild back in the 80's. On that project I used a poly mix that was like jelly, applied it with a notched trial to both the hull and the plywood then clamed everything in place (did I mention quickly?). It turned out fine.

This time I was considering using 3M 5200, but am very interested in your success with the PL product.

-Mike (mrlassi1)

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey archbuilder,
We did get some pretty good weather this weekend but I'm still in TN. I won't get home till next weekend maybe.
I have been helping Rob with his project through. We had a long day on it today and we are both pretty tired.
Looks like we are going to have some good weather next week to.
Thanks again.
mrlassi1,
Yes I used PL for the transom and I used a notched trowel, I then used PB to go around the edges and to build fillets. If you look back a few pages you can see the clamp setup I used to hold it. I also used PL to bed my stringers.
Several others here have done it the same way.
Good luck and thanks for looking at my thread Mike.
Take care all.
Bob