Time for a late-night boat ride. Consider that An Order!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
If your favorite craft has four wheels, that's OK too. ;)

The Perseid Meteor Shower is peaking this weekend at a rate of One Meteor/Min. What better excuse to have a late-night boat ride? I'll be partaking if time and circumstance permit. :) My brother's Ranger needs a test ride and the Family Truckster has gas. ;)

All participants, please report...

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Time for a late-night boat ride. Consider that An Order!

That's not a bad idea....:D

I do have a date tomorrow night...

A little boat ride to watch the meteor shower.....Could be interesting..:D

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

The boat is moored to the dock as we speak, and will be ready to go tomorrow night. Weather conditions permitting.;):D:D Now if I just had a HFTN ( Hottie For The Night)I'd be set. :eek::D

ricksrster

Commander

The weather reports don't look favorable for sky watching here this weekend. I will keep up on them though because it would be nice to get out on the lake at night and watch. No moon light interference. At the lake I go to on a moonless clear night the sky is bright with stars. No artificial light interference.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Sure wish my boat wasn't hibernating this season......its been a real bummer.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I have to werk this weekend,so I'll be missing it. But I am popping-up next to my favorite river the weekend after this one in our ntu camper. I doubt will there be any left? :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Willy,

Thanks for the Heads Up, I love to show the kids these things. Nature at its finest.

studlymandingo

Commander

Thanks for the heads-up my friend!!!​

OldMercsRule

Captain

Thanks Willy, You guys should ponder picking up a star chart book that shows the names, size, distance n' luminosity of the major stars too. They are about $30.00 give or take. Nothing like looking out into time on a dark night on a fair size flat calm puddle, (the stars n' Milky Way really jump out up at RR island). You can tell yer kids or impress a Hottie or significant other or good friends by pointing out some of the real burners out there, (most visable stars at night are much larger/brighter then ol' sol). Warning: if ya get into it, (as ol' Murky has done), it could affect yer thoughts about where we came from. Hard not to be impressed with say a Deneb. It makes ya feel ....rather small, when ya ponder the true landscape out there!! Great Idea Willy! JR

http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/deneb.html

heycods

Captain

Im waiting till the 27th when we have two moons!

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's gonna be a long wait. That email chain letter was bunk.

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Did anybody see any?

We went out around 9:00pm CST and got to see 2 very nice ones come right over the house. We put the kids in bed at 10:00pm and went back out and didn't see anymore other than a few small ones (yes, I know they were all small) .

At least the kids got to see the two brightest ones that were really astounding.
The two appeared to be no higher than a plane when they went over the house, they were that bright.

OldMercsRule

Captain

I heard the max rate of impacts were about 2-3:00AM this morning (here on the Left Coast, courtesy MSM (who hopefully was telling the truth since it was apolitical), n' o' course their were clouds here in God's Country, n' I was in town so I snoozed n' I loose! Hope some of the rest of ya had some luck! JR

woodrat

Ensign

I saw a nice big fat one last night when I wandered out in the yard before bed. Tonight seems somewhat more overcast. It's nice living out in the sticks where it is dark at night....