Tilt Tube ? for Clams

umfangler

Cadet
I need to replace the tilt tube on my 1150. I've ordered one and am thinking about the task at hand. I have a few questions: Can I replace it without totally removing the motor from my boat? What's the procedure? Is there anything else I should do while I'm into it? Is there anything I need to avoid doing while changing it? Any help would be appreciated. You always seem to spell things out so well and I thank you. -Brian-

inlineal

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Tilt Tube ? for Clams

This is only from experience ... I have never had much luck changing tilt tubes without removing the outboard and laying it on it's back on the floor and removing each saddle clamp..Though in the past I have gotten lucky and was able to change them without removing the clamps...If its a salt water motor it will not be easy...

umfangler

Cadet

It's been a freshwater motor...doesn't look corroded. I'm more worried about how to do it and if theres anything I should avoid or anything I should do while I have it somewhat apart. Do I just remove the steering rod, take off the bolts and drive it out? Then clean any crud off and bang the new one in and tighten the bolts?

Clams Canino

Commander

You have it about right... it's the crud that makes it tough. Just make sure you use a rubber hammer to drive the new one in.<br /><br />-W

inlineal

Seaman Apprentice

The problem with changing the tilt tube while the outboard is on the transom is if you do manage to get the tube out the weight of the power head is going to make it diffuclt to install the new one..There are shims between the saddle clamps and main body to deal with need to be installed as the tube is slid in....Do not...repeat...Do not hammer on the tube!!...That will swell the end and it will never slide through the holes..Don't even think of hammering on the new one...If you can get one of the nuts to come off maybe then the tube will spin in the bore by using the other nut and you can find a suitable driver that fits the tube to help remove it..The new tube must be a slip fit... Its not tough to get the the motor off as long as you have the correct lifting eye..It threads into the flywheel..Maybe a local shop will loan or rent you one...You need some kind of chain fall from an overhead beam that will support the weight..At least a 4x4...

Clams Canino

Commander

You can use a lifting eye to take the weight off the tube too. If you catch it right it's easier than pulling the whole outboard off.<br /><br />-W

inlineal

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I guess so..Seems like whenever I get one that needs a tilt tube the motor well is too narrow to do much of anything..To make flat rate..(hourly rate for Christs sake) I still like em on the floor where the tube succumbs to the HD air hammer...Al..

Clams Canino

Commander

Ef the flat rate... I *won't* change a tilt tube for hire - problem solved.<br /><br />=W (the picky)

inlineal

Seaman Apprentice

I guess what I am saying is MY FLAT RATE...By the hour and how many it takes to repair the thing..Instead of screwing around wasting time in a motor well that is too narrow..Screw this ..I ain't gonna argue such a stupid EFing subject....I rest my case..

Clams Canino

Commander

I get your point... all I'm saying is that I won't even take one on. In other words... I'll change a crankshaft - but not a tilt tube.<br /><br />-W