Tilt/Trim ram rebuild

L8-Again

Seaman
So I am tackling a ram rebuild. I noticed a small leak from the port ram at the aft side and I am ordering a new seal kit. Upon dis-assembly I noticed that there was some gunk build-up and realize the system should be cleaned. However, I was wondering of it is wise to remove the piston nut on the forward end of the ram to disassemble and clean that area too?

The rams also won't stay tilted or trailered without using "ram chocks." Over a period of hours the out drive goes all the way down. I read that there is a check valve in the pump that may be defective. Has anyone taken the valve body apart to clean/repair? (Prestolite pump, black)

1979 Cordova, 260 Mercruiser (Chev 350), SE106 outdrive (Alpha I)

L8-Again

Seaman
Re: Tilt/Trim ram rebuild

I'll take some time to introduce myself.

I purchased my first boat last year, '79 Cordova. The out drive was accidentally left down after working on it and when the trailer got move, bang!, the skeg broke off right at the bullet, the ss prop was badly tweaked, and gears in the lower chipped. I paid $1000 for it, only 780 hrs on the motor. It was garaged most of its life and the gel coat needed a day of rubbing compound and wax work.

I purchased an aftermarket outdrive, the SE106 from Sterndrive Engineering. Couldn't beat the price or warranty. It's been running great for me.

It left me stranded on the water on my third outing last year. Got up to plane and it sputtered and died. It tried to start it numerous times and it would just sputter a bit. There was a good wind blowing and it took me toward the dock where a helpful boater towed me in the last 300 yards. BTW a paddle doesn't do too much for 20' of boat and the heavy weight this one is! Got it back home and had intermittent spark. I spent quite a bit of time on this forum reading about electrical problems. Very helpful. I evetually found that the tach wire on the motor harness had rubbed the upright (elbow) of the exhaust. The insulation was not melted, just rubbed to bare wire. I learned a lot about the electical system needless to say! This year I rerouted the wiring under the 'hood' to clean things up.

No cracks in the glass or gel and the upholstry is in great shape. Floor is solid and it doesn't take on water at the lake, rarely have to use the sump and that is only because of playing in the water and then dripping in the boat.

I feel pretty good with my mechanical abilities. It's a great feeling to takle something yourself and put it back together correctly.

I look forward to hearing from experienced boaters on my tilt ram rebuild.

Rich

L8-Again

Seaman

Bump--

Just in case someone who knows hasn't read this!

L8-Again

Seaman

Here's an update:

I got the parts and tore the rams down. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Replaced all the o-rings that came in the kit, put them back together and painted them. Re-installed and ran them unloaded up and down several times. Finished installing and they hold in the up position.

I also did the o-rings in my pump. I even took the non-serviceable pump apart and cleaned it.

There were actually 2 o-rings that I did not replace on the cylinders. The instructions talked about a welding rod welded to a self tapping screw to get the last piece out. I used some cord and a screw and the part wouldn't budge. I figured if it was that hard to get out then the o-rings were probably okay. No problems so far.

:D

Alumarine

Captain

Welcome, and I'm glad it worked out for you.

You might not have received any responses as everyone was out boating this weekend.