Tilt/Trim Question

thunder219

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 94 merc. 4.3 that I had a stripped hole for the ss line on the cyl. I replaced both cyl. with SEI replacements and relized the outdrive now stops in the up position right at the swim deck, which is all part of the hull. I had someone put it all the way up and I could see it push the deck up very,very little. So my question is how do I adjust it so it will be about an 1/8 lower? I have the merc. man. but I dont understand how it says to set them. I dont have it in front of me but it said if I dont follow the directions it could put the outdrive out of gimble range.(That part I understand)The part I dont is setting them at 20 3/4 in the up position. Also I dont have a trailer switch on this boat.
While I am thinking of it, I also have to throttle it back to get the trim to raise. I have got all the contaminated oil out and put fresh in but did not help. It was like this all last year but I now know that there is problem and would like for it to trim at full throttle. Is it pos. that the pump is messed up from the water getting in the system. Also would it be a job the average person can rebuild with a man. or just as cheap to get a new one off of Ebay?
Thanks for any help.