tilt/trim problem on sea-ray 100...help???

snuffy45

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1988 Sea-Ray Seville engine says sea-ray 100, when parked at end of last season tilt/trim worked fine. This year when push buttons just a click in solenoid, thought they might be bad, was doing checking with test lite & found that both blue & green wires are hot no matter which way you push button for up or down. I unhooked the green wire completely from solenoid, when I push up the green wire for down becomes hot with the blue for up???? any ideas where to go from here? was thinking in the motor for the tilt but no way to remove it without removing the entire tilt/trim, can't get to the bolt in back right corner to remove motor. has something shorted out? or am I going about this the wrong way? please help... need to try to do this myself since on fixed income & if I have to remove entire tilt/trim can someone give me instructions on how is best way? not sure how to get pins out of center shock. have read about limit switches also, found 1 on port side only but the wire from it doesn't go anywhere near the wires for tilt/trim. Thanks...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: tilt/trim problem on sea-ray 100...help???

Is it the outboard? If so it is a rebadged Mercury and what you need is the mercury manual to properly troubleshoot. There are multiple variations of the tilt and trim systems.

I will move this to the mercury section.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post the serial number of the motor as well for further ID.

snuffy45

Seaman Apprentice

it is outboard, Ser# B36423 2 or 3 people said it was the solenoid< just couldn't see how both would quit at the same time. just don't think both blue & green should be hot at the same time, especially if 1 is completely unhooked from power, but electricity isn't my best thing....

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

it is outboard, Ser# B36423 2 or 3 people said it was the solenoid< just couldn't see how both would quit at the same time. just don't think both blue & green should be hot at the same time, especially if 1 is completely unhooked from power, but electricity isn't my best thing....

I'd tend to agree. I'd look at the main power feed into the solenoids, as well as a possible fuse on the system.