Tilt & Trim on a Johnson 115 Outboard

moodyshield

Cadet
I am a novice with outboards and therefore please excuse my lack of knowledge when reading some previous posts

I want to find out why my T&T is not working and I have read that I should jump wires to the motor from the battery. However this is where I am getting confused and need an idiots guide.

I am attaching a photo of the T&T box with all the various wires. Can you let me know if I need to jump the wires from the battery to one of these connections or somewhere else.

Thanks for any assistance

Attachments

• T&T Wiring box.jpg
    T&T Wiring box.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
Re: Tilt & Trim on a Johnson 115 Outboard

That system looks complex but really isn't all that bad. Your trim switch operates one of the two relays depending on if you want the trim to go up or down. The relays send voltage to the trim motor, either forward or reverse.

There are two wires going to the trim motor, green and blue. There should be a connector somewhere between the relay box and the trim motor that you can pull apart, and you should be able to energize the trim motor there to check it. If you're not versed in electrical stuff it might be a good idea to get help with this, that battery can make some might big sparks if you accidently hook something up wrong. For instance, the trim relays ground both motor leads when they're not energized, if you tried energizing the trim motor while it's still connected to the box you'll have way too much fun.