tilt/trim not working

molch

Cadet
Hello all. anyhelp is very appreciated. <br /><br />Engine: 1980 J115hp - model:115TLCSA<br /><br />Problem: replaced all seals and orings in the tilt and trim cylinders today. put it all back together filled up the oil and no tilt/trim.<br />tried cycling through up down many times. letting out pressure and refilling with more fluid and it still doesn't work.<br />before replacing the seals it was working fine however it had a leak at the top of all cylinders.<br /><br />motor seems to works fine and i have manually moved tilt up and down many times now.<br /><br />here is a wierd part. if i use the byspass valve to lower the tilt i can then use the controls to lower the trim but at the same time as the trim lowering the tilt rises. this all only works without any weight on the cylinders.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Ethan from Aus.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: tilt/trim not working

Manual release screwed all the way in? <br /><br />Putting the cylinders back together can be tricky in regards to not messing up the orings on the pistons. How did you get them back into the cylinders past the threads at the top of the cylinders?

molch

Cadet

to get the orings past the thread and into the cylinders i used fluid on the orings and they just slid in without too much hassle really. i was worried about cutting/tearing them so was pretty carefull doing this. <br /><br />manul reallease i have unscrewed and screwed in to make sure. <br /><br />i have just been searching and seen some things about binding and hydrolic lockup. is this possible with what i have done here?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

If you unscrew the manual release and lift the engine manually all the way up, tighten the release screw and run the motor in the down direction, does the unit go down? <br /><br />With the engine all the way up (manually), check the fluid level in the reservoir. Make sure it's topped off. Remember the level in the reservoir has to be checked with the engine tilted all the way UP.<br /><br />The motor is running......isn't it? :) <br /><br />EDIT: Just another thing....I'm a little dubious about not using any protection around the piston oring during assembly. The units I've serviced have been a bear to reassemble with out using very thin shim stock to protect the orings. But if your sure.......

molch

Cadet

i can move the tilt up and down without the use of the pump. i opened up the tilt cylinder againa dn watched what happened and first there was a leak coming through one of the 4 holes in the piston. Tightened the nut up to specified torue on teh bottom of the piston and that stopped but the fluid just gets pushed around the unit and in the top intake on the tilt cylinder. <br /><br />does this mean one of the valves are stuck open allowing for the flow of fluid from the bottom of the tilt ram around the resovour and out the top hole of the tilt ram?<br /><br />motor works fine, played with it up and down many times today.<br /><br />i am fairly sure the orings on the piston is fine. i guess i could get another and try but i want to make sure there are no valve issues etc.<br /><br />oh also when i had the trim cylinders out i sucked all of the old fluid out of the bottom of the resoivour as it had traces of water. could i have sucked the pump dry causing a problem also?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Morning Ethan. (well, morning here in Ohio.. :)<br /><br />I'm thinking that you may have got some dirt, or whatever was laying about the unit, stirred up and got a valve stuck open around the pump. There are a couple relief valves in the pump that if they stick open, the unit will not work....the fluid will just pass around the circuits as you described. These valves are called relief valves. And as you may guess, the only way to get to them is to remove the motor.<br /><br />I know it would be a big pain in the butt, but if it where mine, I'd remove the unit from the engine and get it on the bench where I could get to it. I would check all the valves and replace the orings on them. I would suppose your unit hasn't been cleaned out since it was new and doing the job you done on the cylinders probably stirred up any debris laying about.<br /><br />Are you working from a service manual?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Your explanation of the problem indicates that air is trapped at the oil pump area. To cure such a problem, apply 7 to 12 psi of air pressure momantarily to the fluid reservoir (no higher psi).<br /><br />This may not be your problem but it is the usual one. Let us know what you find.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Question Joe.....would the intent be to force fluid into the pump area? Asking because I havn't heard of this type of fix for an air bound TNT pump before now.<br /><br />Thanks.......Jim

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

With the relief valve open, run electric motor, that will do the same thing.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

OBJ..... Yep, that's the intent. I tried that back in the late 1970's and it worked like a charm. I've come across that problem many times since and that 7 to 12 psi cured the problem every time.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the info Joe.....always appreciated. And also to R.Johnson....don't always get TNT units in for mechanical repairs....I think one in the last couple years.....usually electrical....but having a good string of trouble shooting ideas is always helpful.