Tilt Motor

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I try to lower the outdrive I just hear a click. Sounds like the solenoid is engaging but motor is not running. One shop owner told me on this boat (1977 Mark Twain OMC w/351w) the fuel tank has to be removed to get to the back of the engine where the tilt motor is at. When I looked at my shop manual it states that you have to pull the outdrive to get to the motor. To remove the fuel tank in mine, I unfortunately have to pull all of the rear seating as well. Which one of these nightmare scenarios am I looking at?

southkogs

Staff member
The tilt motor is located at the rear of the engine ... port (left as facing the front) side ... at the bottom. When you look at your stern drive, there's a big quadrant gear. The tilt motor is on the other side of the hull from that thing.

HOWEVER you have to get in to that spot to get to the motor, that's whatcha' need to do. In my Silverline, I had to pull the dog house and rear seats. Then contort like a circus acrobat to get to it.

The outdrive can stay on the boat. That shouldn't be a problem. The clutch pack should hold it in place.

Watch out when you pull the motor: the hammer coupling and one of the springs likes to jump out and run down the bilge. You don't wanna lose those, they're a little tough to replace.

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok thanks... this is more like what the shop owner was telling me. I may get everything out of the way & let him do it

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Try jumping the solenoid first to rule that out before you pull the actual motor . Are you sure the battery is good ? clean wire contacts , etc . Try ruling out the little things first

Yes they can be a pain to remove and replace depending on your boats layout.

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Try jumping the solenoid first to rule that out before you pull the actual motor . Are you sure the battery is good ? clean wire contacts , etc . Try ruling out the little things first

Yes they can be a pain to remove and replace depending on your boats layout.

Battery is good to go. It will start the engine. I will try the contacts before I dig into the motor. Thanks

southkogs

Staff member
And realize too that you can have those motors rebuilt by a shop. I pulled mine (wasn't horrible) and had it rewound by a local shop for $45. He did such a good job, I actually trusted his rebuilt motors over buying a new one.

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And realize too that you can have those motors rebuilt by a shop. I pulled mine (wasn't horrible) and had it rewound by a local shop for $45. He did such a good job, I actually trusted his rebuilt motors over buying a new one.

Hmmm... good idea. I know of a place close to me that has done this on some motors here at my work. $40-50 sounds a lot better than $200!